1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A biopic you're hoping to see (and the actor)

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by DanOregon, Aug 21, 2009.

1. RossLT

RossLT Guest

Jesse L. Martin is starring in Sexual Healing which is supposed to focus on the recording of that album and the time after. The other film has F. Gary Gray directing it and will focus on Marvin's entire life, I am not sure who they would get to play Marvin.

BTW, SM51 that is my favorite album of all-time.

2. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Yup. Are there better albums to the genre than this along with Stevie Wonder's "Songs in the Key of Life"?

Could be to its genre what Pink Floyd's "Dark Side of the Moon" is to theirs.

3. Double J

Double J Active Member

He does sort of look like him, but the size difference is one liability - he's also several years too old already. I know, it's difficult to imagine that anyone could be too old to play Gordie. But, hey, who knows? Think Cooper can skate?

Hahahaha....touche!!

4. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Jake Busey is big and husky, also resembles Howe somewhat facially, and is still young enough (38) he might be able to pull off some of the action shots. Whether he can skate or not, I don't know.

5. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

As much as we all hated the massive media coverage, I'd love to see a Michael Jackson movie. Of course, you'd likely have to get an unknown actor to play him, but then again, maybe you'd have to get two unknown actors, one for the black version and one for the white version.

6. Double J

Double J Active Member

After the travesty that was "Slap Shot 2," no one named Busey should ever again be allowed near the set of a hockey movie.

His story couldn't be done justice in a single movie. It'd have to be a mini-series, unless you were looking at one single aspect of his life.

EDIT: Which isn't a bad idea - how about the year 1984? He started that year on top of the world - the final single releases from Thriller, the Victory Tour......and the Pepsi commercial. I think we can all agree that single incident was literally the beginning of the end.

7. schiezainc

See, I don't know. I think you could make a pretty good movie that encompasses everything. I mean, granted, it would have to be three hours long, but it could work. You start with him on stage during that final practice before the new tour. Through flashbacks, you have three acts, with him at those final rehearsals dispersed in between.

You see him on stage rehearsing, looking happy. Flash to the child days, spend 30-40 minutes there. He gets his first solo record deal, flash forward to him on stage rehearsing for "This Is It" again, looking confident. Flash back to his solo days, spend 30-40 minutes hitting the highlights. Flash back to the "TII" rehearsals, show him getting tired. Go back to the solo career and hit upon the 90s/Pepsi commercial.

Back to "TII", he takes a break. Show him going over production notes or something. Flash back to the surgeries, the first molestation case. Go back to "TII", show him choreographing the dance moves. Hit upon the Lisa Marie wedding, the children, the second molestation case.

The movie ends with him working towards his redemption, show the hope he had for this last series of shows. Show the time he put in, show the effort. Meanwhile, don't mask the fact that financially and mentally he's down. Show him on stage that final night, show him leave, he walks out of the arena, into the dark, the movie ends.

Those are just my thoughts of course. Maybe the movie would have to be four hours.

8. Double J

Double J Active Member

You have a good idea, but, and no offence, I like my 1984 idea. If for no other reason than you could get away with using only one actor in the role.

9. schiezainc

Sorry, didn't see your edit while I was typing.

The 1984 idea works well. My first idea was to center it all there. The reason I picked the final rehearsals as the starting point, however, was that they represented a kind of finale to it all. Here was a man who has been through it all, giving it all for one last shot to go out on top.

Then you see everything that led up to that point, everything he had to go through. To me, it always seemed that he was at his happiest on stage. On stage, he was respected, he was allowed to be himself.

That's why, to me, it's fitting that you use the final rehearsals as the glue that holds everything together. In that one moment, he's there, giving what some people have called the performance of his life, but he doesn't realize what's just 24 hours away. No matter how hard he works, no matter how perfect he gets his voice, his moves, his music, when he walks off that stage and back out there, it's all going to come crashing down.

It's just good symbolism really and it hammers home the overriding point of the entire piece.

10. Double J

Double J Active Member

Interesting, seriously.

Don't take this the wrong way, I don't mean any disrespect to your great idea, but I was thinking it'd be fascinating to take the same approach to Elvis' final shit.

"Little did the King know, when he ascended his throne early that morning......" :D

11. schiezainc

LMAO, I think that would be an interesting take on it though. You start off with Elvis lying in bed, drugs, food, crap all over the place. He opens his eyes, you flash to his childhood. Camera goes back to him getting out of bed, he shakes his head groggily, gets out of bed. Flash to his young superstar days.

Camera shows him get something to drink in that hotel room, he clears his throat, takes his first step towards the bathroom. Flashback to him rising up in popularity, show all the good times. He walks over to the bathroom, looks in the mirror. Flashback to him starting to fall from grace and get fat. Show him sitting on the toilet, movie goes to his final years. Flash forward to him on said toilet, he dies. Fade to black.

I'm fairly certain there'd be a riot at Graceland but f**k if that doesn't make a great film.

12. schiezainc

I was also thinking how cool it would be to do the MJ movie through the eyes of random fans. (Probably ones around 30-40 years old at the conclusion of the movie.)

You show one fan rocking out to the Jackson 5 as a kid, show him/her growing up normally while Jackson doesn't. Show a bunch of fans attending Michael's concerts in the 70s-80s first as a member of the J5, later by himself. Show another set of fans at the SB during the Pepsi commercial, show the fan attending his 90's shows, fans at the two molestation cases, at the TII rehearsals, at his memorial.

Would be a new way to do a biopic, that's for sure.

Draft saved Draft deleted