1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A biopic you're hoping to see (and the actor)

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by DanOregon, Aug 21, 2009.

1. Care Bear

Care Bear Guest

John Montague/LaVerne Moore...I may have read somewhere that a movie was being made, but a quick google search didn't produce any results. I'm thinking Philip Seymour Hoffman for the lead.

http://www.gelfmagazine.com/archives/unearthing_a_golf_legend.php

2. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Eastwood did just finish a Mandela movie focused around the Rugby World Cup starring Morgan Freeman. Should be out this fall.

3. EE94

EE94 Guest

Thanks for this.

With Freeman, means it likely focuses on his post-prison life.

4. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

NYT reporter David Rohde, who was captured by, and escaped from, the Taliban.

Christian Bale seems good for the role, especially after his effort in Rescue Dawn.

5. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Lou Gossett played Satch in the 1980s TV movie referenced above by DanOregon, which was fairly good as those things go (although the baseball action was lame).

You'd also have to add the epilogue of Paige pitching three innings for the Kansas City A's in 1965, at the (approximate) age of 58, giving up one hit (a double to Yaz), no runs, and striking out one.

As far as who could play Paige, I'm trying to think: it's got to be a tall, lanky guy (Paige was 6-4) who can carry off the baseball scenes at least believably.

HBO's "Soul of the Game" in 1996 was pretty good (although highly fictionalized).

I'm surprised someone hasn't taken a run at a big-budget Jackie Robinson biopic.

On a tangent from the "Worst Actor" thread, I've always thought Bobby Layne is the role Matthew McConaughey was born to play.

6. Double J

Double J Active Member

Howard Baldwin, who co-produced "Ray" (and, previously, owned three different NHL franchises) is trying to put together a Gordie Howe project. It would focus on the 1973-74 season when he came out of retirement at age 45 to join his sons with the Houston Aeros. I have no idea who would or could play Howe......Gordie is such an imposing and recognizable figure, it might have to be an unknown guy.

7. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

Winston Churchill, played by Pauly Shore.

8. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

"Attitude, duuuuude, is a little thing that makes a big dih-fur-ennnnnnce!"

9. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

In Canada, absolutely.

For most of the American movie-going public they could cast Ving Rhames.

10. RossLT

RossLT Guest

Shit.

I'd love to see a Jackie Robinson film get made.

11. andyouare?

andyouare? Guest

The Clash with John Cusack as Joe Strummer.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  12. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Jerry Garcia
    Jack Kerouac
    Ken Kesey
    Ezra Pound
    William Blake

Draft saved Draft deleted