1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A biopic you're hoping to see (and the actor)

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by DanOregon, Aug 21, 2009.

1. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

The Keith Moon thread had me thinking about other biopics I'd like to see. I'm still surprised no one has done anything with the life of Paul Robeson. All-American football player, big time actor and singer and major political activist.

I'd go with Taye Diggs, maybe Jesse Martin.

2. RossLT

RossLT Guest

Jimi Hendrix, I am not sure there is an actor in hollywood who could pull of Jimi.

EDIT: I forgot they did one where Wood Harris (Avon for us Wire fans) played him.

3. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Borrowing an idea from Starman:

Satchel Paige. (Not sure of the actor. Billy Dee did a pretty good impression in "Bingo Long," I thought.)

You'd have to really condense the story, though. Start with his dominance in the Negro Leagues, the arm injury in 1938-39, advance to his dramatic duels with Josh Gibson in the '42 NNL World Series, then the dramatic conflict of Jackie, not Satch, being the first to sign with a white team, and climax it with his call-up and the 1-0 shutout against the White Sox before 70,000 in 1948.

4. GBNF

GBNF Well-Known Member

I'd love to see a biopic on FDR and Eleanor, with perhaps PS Hoffman as FDR and Meryl Streep as Eleanor.

5. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

ABC did a four-hour miniseries on the Roosevelts starring Edward Hermann and Jane Alexander that I recall being pretty good, and probably more detailed than a feature could do.

And didn't Louis Gossett Jr. play Satchell Paige in a TV movie?

And I know that there are plans for a Teddy Roosevelt movie, but I'd think that guy's life would have made a great miniseries like HBO did with Band of Brothers or From the Earth To The Moon.

6. Bad Guy Zero

Bad Guy Zero Active Member

"Shakey" starring Billy Bob Thornton as Neil Young.

7. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

Courtney Love, although I don't know who would play her. Maybe she can play herself :D

8. EE94

EE94 Guest

Nelson Mandela

Movie would concentrate on events leading up to his incarceration, so would have to be a young actor - probably some unknown

9. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Jenna Jameson - Scarlett Johansson

This was actually rumored for awhile, but for some reason, Scarlett's people thought it might not be a good idea...

10. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I read somewhere that Will Smith owns the rights to one of the Jimi Hendrix biographies and is going to have his son play him when he's old enough. I think when he bought the rights, he initially wanted to do it, but Ali happened instead.

11. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Doubt Part II? ;D

12. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Damn!!!

Draft saved Draft deleted