1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A bad Nike commercial on so many levels

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Drip, Apr 8, 2010.

1. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Tiger milking his dead father for endorsement money. Earl would be proud. [/no blue font intended]

2. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

That's a deleted scene. From the DVD extended edition.

Your Nerd Credentials are secure.

3. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

4. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

5. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Kal-El: Father, how come in every single picture of you I ever saw from 1939 until 1978, you looked like a rugged, robust, strong, healthy black-haired YOUNG man -- in fact, you looked pretty much like ME -- and then, all of a sudden, in 1978, you turned into a wheezing, gasping, white-haired 300-pound 60-year-old man who sounded exactly like Don Vito Corleone. What's up with that? Why the hell did you wait until you were 58 years old to marry Lara? Didn't you like girls?

Jor-El: It is forbidden for you to interfere with human history. FORBIDDEN!! FORBIDDEN!! FORBIDDEN!! (echoes)

Kal-El: Yeah, whatever. That's a saying we have here on earth.

6. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

It makes Woods look even more creepy.

7. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

So much of this thread has focused on Nike. But this, to me, is why Tiger Woods has seemed full of shit throughout this whole thing. Everything about him is still so staged. It still is; no matter how hard he tries to sell fake sincerity. There isn't a sincere or honest thing about the guy, except his obvious competitive nature on a golf course. He not only screwed up a zillion-dollar life with stupid behavior, but now he has shown himself willing to prostitute his dead dad in yet another insincere effort to try to salvage some of what he screwed up. It doesn't matter much to me if this was an effective ad for Nike. But I do wonder what kind of man would allow a shoe company to drag his dead dad into a marketing piece based on his public marital infidelity. When Tiger Woods looks in the mirror, he should see a whore.

8. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Well said.

9. zimbabwe

zimbabwe Active Member

This.

10. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

It could be sadder than that. This may represent what Woods believes is a sincere statement about his dad and himself. In short, he can't imagine interacting with the public except through television commercials. He's Max Headroom in golf spikes.

11. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Including maternity apparel while covering a golf tourney? [/crossthreading]

12. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

New version released:

Draft saved Draft deleted