1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A $200 million dome for ... Jackson State?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by dixiehack, Feb 23, 2013.

1. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Does the NCAA ban on postseason events in Rebel flag-waving states extend to bowl games? I would think so, but then the sports betting ban isn't an issue for the Las Vegas Bowl.

2. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

I hear the USFL is coming back . . .

3. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Did Larry Langford get out of federal stir and move to Jackson?

4. JosephC.Myers

JosephC.Myers Active Member

Or perhaps the XFL?

5. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

Bring on the Delta Bowl!

6. Drip

Drip Active Member

Would be an economic shot in the arm for the area but again, would it be able to attract top flight events for the long haul? For whatever reason, the name Mississippi doesn't sit well with people.

7. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

This sounds like the subject of an April Fool's prank.

8. Even if it could attract big-name events, the economic impact still doesn't justify the costs. But a dome is worth trillions in image.

9. Football_Bat

I do think an indoor football stadium (not necessarily "domed") can be built on the cheap for a lot less than the $60M that Allen, Texas infamously spent on its outdoor field. Furthermore, I think a Texas high school will do it first. I've predicted this for the last six years. Hasn't happened yet, but it will.

10. The school district in Springerville, Ariz., built a dome in the early '90s. A utility had to pay most of the $11 million cost as it controlled most of the property wealth.

11. Football_Bat

Did not know about the Arizona field, and I should've.

The future Tex Majal will be more on the order of Reliant Stadium — more like a Indiana fieldhouse than a Bucky Fuller masterpiece.

12. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

These stadium deals need to be dialed back.

Story in local paper, Cal's football stadium is in serious financial trouble; they are $171M short on a $474M project; only sold 1900 of 2900 premium seat licenses, $18M/Yr debt service coming up.

Ridiculous. I know I'm swimming upstream but this emphasis on athletics is going to kill America's competitive intellectual edge.

Draft saved Draft deleted