1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A $200 million dome for ... Jackson State?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by dixiehack, Feb 23, 2013.

1. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

2. A domed stadium costing $200 million would be a long way fom state-of-the-art.

3. jackfinarelli

jackfinarelli Well-Known Member

Every business major with a degree from this school can watch the value of his degree decline as the school "justifies" this expenditure.

4. JosephC.Myers

JosephC.Myers Active Member

I just don't see this ending well. How the heck are they going to justify building a dome?

5. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

The one thing this plan has going for it is the state of the other sports facilities in Jackson.
    Veterans Memorial Stadium (the 60,000-seat football stadium Jackson State currently plays in) is old and decrepit.
    The Mississippi Coliseum (the 8,000-seat arena) is also aging badly.
    There are ongoing discussions on how best to replace or renovate both stadiums. If JSU plays its cards right it can beat the various state agencies to the punch, build one facility to handle both, and become a destination for the state high school football and basketball championships, as well as concerts and other events. Jackson is an easy stop for a lot of musicians because it's the crossroads of two major interstates. You can book them between New Orleans and Memphis, or Dallas and Atlanta.

Building a 50,000-seat stadium is silly, though. They might fill that up twice a season. Make it 25,000 or 30,000 and you're in the right ballpark.

6. Jackson should look to how quickly Birmigham's dome project is coming along.

7. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Average temps for Mississippi in November: High 70, low 52.

Any public official who appropriates or even allows 10 cents to be spent on this should be executed.

8. albert77

albert77 Well-Known Member

When pigs fly...

9. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

You do realize most of football season occurs in September and October, when the daytime temperature in Mississippi is often still close to 90 degrees?
    Like I said earlier, a dome is not a bad idea if they build it as a multi-purpose facility (which seems to be the idea). Done right, it can really rejuvenate what is a dying cesspool of a city. I do agree, however, that the amount and capacity is a bit much for JSU.

10. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

I hear it gets cooler when the sun goes down.

11. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

You'd be amazed.

12. Drip

Drip Active Member

The problem that I see is that there would be too many days when the stadium would not be in use. Unless they can figure out a way to bring in big-time attractions on a consistent basis, I believe the project is doomed for failure.

Draft saved Draft deleted