1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

99 laid off at Daytona Beach

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by deskslave, Jun 23, 2008.

1. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

There are some replies to posts on that blog that suggest there may be more cuts Aug. 1 if Cox wants it. Don't know if that's true or if it's just survivors' paranoia.

2. Rockbottom

Rockbottom Well-Known Member

What is McLaughlin (whom I know from a *way* earlier professional stop) doing at TSN?

rb

3. Italian_Stallion

Italian_Stallion Active Member

Well, 2mcm, are you aware of the so-called golden parachute deal that will pay 29 company executives a combined $13 in severance should they lose their jobs? I don't know whether that would go into effect if editors were sent packing now or if it only applies after the sale.

But you can bet there will be more cuts once the court rules on the severance packages, which have been challenged by Cox. And, obviously, that ruling could speed the paper's sale. Once it's sold, there will likely be more cutting and repositioning.

RB, McLaughlin will be covering college football and basketball recruiting.

4. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Yes, I was aware of that. (And that's there's quite a bit of resentment among the rank and file about it.)

And no matter how many cuts are made, I still can't imagine who's in a buying mood. Maybe NYT Regional Newspapers, because they have a handful of Florida papers already (Ocala, Sarasota, Gainesville, Lakeland). I would have said Morris at one point, but apparently they're worse off than I realized.

5. Italian_Stallion

Italian_Stallion Active Member

I have thought NYT, too.

Draft saved Draft deleted