1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

96 in the NCAA Tournament

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Ilmago, Apr 8, 2010.

1. Ilmago

Ilmago Guest

I apologize if this has already been created, and if so can you link me to the thread and close this one?

After watching the tournament, what are your thoughts of having 96 teams in the NCAA March Madness tournament?

You for it or against it?

2. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

It would take away from the tradition of the Dayton play-in game. I'm against it.

3. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

No one is really for it, not even the clowns at the NCAA who are going to approve the proposal.

4. Den1983

Den1983 Active Member

So ridiculous. I can't even begin to describe how moronic the NCAA is for doing this crap.

5. noodles

noodles Member

Absolutely a bad, bad, bad idea, but money talks, so everyone is forced to listen. It's just going to be plain wrong for the bottom-feeders of the Big East - however much longer that conference holds together before the Big Ten comes poaching - fight and battle and scratch their way to finish 12th or 13th and snag the league's last at-large bid.

Tell me again how going to 96 teams is going to be good for the college game?

6. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

I laughed out loud at that...

7. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

I hate this idea.

8. Roscablo

Roscablo Well-Known Member

As someone who especially loves the first and second rounds and who has made it a mini-tradition picking a site somewhere and going to the games, this is very un-fan friendly. You're adding a round with shitty teams and diluting the chance of cool upsets the first weekend. Hell, forget upsets, you might not even get competitive games. And depending on where they throw the games -- I've read that they're leaning on adding the round of 32 to the regional round sites -- you might only see the top seeds play once. That makes the first weekend a lot less interesting all around and not nearly as worth the price of admission, which is getting steep as it is.

9. mb

mb Active Member

I don't like the idea of 96, but I actually think it would lead to MORE upsets. Teams that are 15s and 16s now would be something like 23s and 24s in a 96-team tournament. So the teams that advance to face a No. 1 seed, for example, would be a better 16 seed -- and a team that already has a tournament win under its belt.

10. jackfinarelli

jackfinarelli Well-Known Member

Two thoughts:

1. If 96 teams means more TV money, count on the tournament expanding no matter what...

2. In March 2010, can you name the 31 teams that you would have wanted to add to the field of 65 that was announced? Once I see the list of 31 teams who really deserved a shot at the national championship, I will be in a much better position to come to a conclusion as to the worthiness of that idea...

11. mb

mb Active Member

Oh, they'll be shitty teams, no question. But instead of your 15s and 16s being the winners of terrible conferences, they'll now be the first few teams that were left out. Think along the lines of Dayton, Mississippi State and North Carolina, instead of the SWAC and MEAC and SoCon champs.

12. farmerjerome

farmerjerome Active Member

That's way to many teams.

I always liked the idea of four play-in games, but personally I don't think it should be for the 16 seed. Whatever crappy mid-major that barely eeked out a conference tourney win deserves to be there. Using this year for an example, I would love to see teams like Florida and Illinois battle it out for the 13 or 14 seed.

This way, the No. 1 seeds still earn their right of playing well all year to play the worst teams in the first round, mid-majors that win their tourneys still get to dance, and teams that otherwise might get screwed get a chance to show they're worth a chance.

Everybody wins!

Draft saved Draft deleted