1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

9/11: Your feelings

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by novelist_wannabe, Sep 10, 2006.

1. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

I'll preface my comments with this: I've never been to NYC, and have only spent a weekend (recently) in DC. I don't know anything about the City other than what I read on this board, books and see when I watch Crocodile Dundee.

I feel no different, here in the Deep South, than I did on Sept. 10, '01. I do remember the horror I felt the day after. I don't know if it's my callous, matter-of-fact nature of if I don't "care." I hope it's the former. The only thing that concerns me (now more than ever before) is that it never, ever happens again -- not to anyone, Americans, Saudis, Tanzanians, Kenyans, Brits or Spaniards. That's why I do what I do and hope to continue to do it. Yeah, everyone can say we're doing the wrong thing in Iraq. They may be right. I don't know. But I -- and every other Soldier, Sailor, Airman or Marine -- pledge to everyone of you and everyone in this nation, we'll do our best to make that happen, regardless of politics.

And I do remember the chill bumps, the horror, the sickness I felt that day. And now, I do -- like novelist said -- hug my wife a little tighter.

2. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Sorry for the cheesy flag-waving rant.

3. healingman

healingman Guest

9-11. I remember waking up and turning on my radio in the morning when I lived in Houston to an FM music station and hearing the late Peter Jennings on there. I was going, "What's he doing on there?" Then I listened a little more ... and it was just after the first plane hit. I went into my den area, turned on my TV and ... well ... just sat there and watched. I feel sad that the tragedy that was and still is 9-11 (or 9/11 in some papers) continues to be rammed down throats by government types upon us as citizens.

I mean ... people in New York City are STILL suffering physical, emotional, spiritual and mental problems about it.

What I see in my mind's eye right now is that video of President Bush just sitting in the classroom after Andy Card told him the news. The dude just sat there. Wow. (A side note: I choose not to get into a partisan bickering snit about this because both political parties F-ed up in areas around this stuff, too, and use and abuse 9/11 for their causes, etc.)

Only time I've been to NYC was when I was 6 years old and remember seeing Statue of Liberty and taking a Grey Line Bus tour past "The Ed Sullivan Show" theater back when IT WAS "The Ed Sullivan Show"'s home for CBS. Plus seeing a remake of a 1920's musical called "No, No, Nanette" (I'm not kidding) with this woman named Ruby Keeler (who the tux-and-tails-clad crowd roared for as she danced) at the Ziegfeld Theater.

My heart and peace go out to those who live in New York City and in the surrounding areas at this time. I feel sad that many people have let you down.

I hope the SJ's on here -- who are human beings first and foremost in my mind and heart -- that were active in the business on that day will take a moment and call someone, tell them they love them, or maybe (if one believes in it) toss up a prayer for peace and hope. Hell, it couldn't hurt.

Thanks for letting me write this out here.

4. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

The first anniversary was a numbing one. I remember trying to watch as much of the one-year anniversary things as I could. I even watched the entire scroll of victims on CNN (I hoped there were no Neidermeyers. Alas, there were three, and yes, I said it to myself each time. I guess it was giddy nervousness). Each year, the need to revisit it grows less intense. I guess I'm doing what they told us to do: go on with life. I am angry that we had the right response at first (attacking Afghanistan to try to get Bin Laden). We're in control of that country, and we have a decent ally with decent military power in Pakistan, yet instead of pressing the search for OBL, we create a quagmire in a country that was neutralized. And as feared, the 9/11 insecurities led to widespread infringements and inpingements on our liberties, beyond what would be needed to counter terrorism. 9/11 was an Orwellian gold card in that sense.

I do hope that our increased monitoring of our infrastructure and of known terrorists works. I would feel more certain of that if we weren't pissing lives and money away in Iraq.

5. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

I grew up in fly-over country and lived there in 2001. I remember 9/11 just like I remember exactly where I was when I heard about the OKC bombing. At the time of the plane crash I had never been to New York and didn't even know someone who knew someone who died. It was a huge tragedy and very scary because we really had no idea what was going on or what would be next.

But in a lot of ways for me, and a lot of people who spent most of their lives in Kansas or Oklahoma or Iowa or whereever, OKC left more of a scar.

6. Riddick

Riddick Active Member

Still haven't seen any of the movies. Not sure why. Just don't have any desire to be reminded of such a tragic day.

7. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

I think 9/11 affects us more than we realize.

On my honeymoon in May 2002, we stopped in Chicago's O'Hare airport to change planes. I saw a group of Arab men, complete with turbans, and a cold shiver raced down my spine. They were probably cool guys on bona fide business, but I couldn't help watch them until they were out of my sight.

My sister-in-law is Japanese. I can't help but wonder if her phone calls home are being monitored.

At my parents' house, there's a picture of my mom on Liberty Island, the Twin Towers the focal point behind her. It's surreal to think of the exact same picture being taken today and how different it would look.

Things that I won't forget about that day/ensuing days:

1. A couple of ad ladies in the newsroom in the paper I worked at asking if they could switch off ESPN to CNN because "a plane crashed into the World Trade Center." I'll never forget my jaw dropping when I was told that. Seemed too unreal.

2. The high schools in the area that still had volleyball/cross country meets that day. They claimed they were trying to "keep things normal." My boss told me that if I didn't want to cover the volleyball quad I was scheduled to, I didn't have to. I didn't go.

3. Every channel I had on my cable lineup was news coverage. From ESPN to Bravo to TBS.

4. Seeing and running a huge picture of a crying Joe Sakic, who was training in Sweden, the next day. Meanwhile, the paper I currently work for, ran a picture of a volleyball player celebrating a point. Egad.

5. That even though I worked for a small-town newspaper with a circulation of around 10,000, the sports front on Sept. 12 was entirely devoted to 9/11 news. From national sports stories to how the attacks affected local events, looking back, I was impressed a paper that size could pull that off in sports.

6. Attending a prep football game a day later than scheduled, and leaving the pressbox during the national anthem so I could be alone. I don't know what everyone else did in the stadium that night, but I cried the whole way through.

8. farmerjerome

farmerjerome Active Member

I don't live in NYC. I barely knew of anyone who died in the attacks.

I thought I was going to be okay with viewing the footage on Monday. Now I know I can't handle it. I'm greatful that I'm working all day and will miss all the tributes.

It's cheesy, but I saw the 9/11 episode of Third Watch a couple of months ago and I lost it.

I think I'll stay away from the news on Monday.

9. BigDog

BigDog Active Member

I can't wait for the SportsJournalists.com faction of Air America to wreck this one.

10. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

I can relate to those points. However, unlike you, I didn't have a choice but to cover a volleyball triangular when Podunk Christian decided to carry on, same as usual. And my editor didn't give me an opt-out. It was odd to see 9/11 coverage from front to back in the news section, only to see Podunk Christian celebrating in the heart of the sports front. I didn't want to cover that event, my heart never fully went into it.

Three days later, I wiped away a tear or three during the national anthem before a prep football game. There have been two times when I felt chills running up and down my body during the national anthem: 1. Before the Penguins-Blackhawks game on Jan. 20, 2001, because anthems there are a surreal experience, and 2. Before that prep football game, which is one moment that could never be replicated.

I've never been to New York City. In fact, I only drove through there once, weeks ago when on vacation. I once saw the former WTC site from a plane. I've crossed the Tappan Zee and George Washington bridge once apiece. I have no clue as to this or that when it comes to NYC. But I can tell you that 9/11 is definitely remembered by "flyover country" for more than media reasons.

Personally, I can do without seeing any 9/11 footage tomorrow. I'll just buy a Polamalu jersey to let the terrorists know they didn't win.

11. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

I saw an episode of MASH, in which a television reporter spoke to the cast about living and working in a war zone. Alan Alda told the reporter, "I may care about things more than I ever have. On the other hand, I don't give a shit."

I think that best describes how I feel.

I've lived in New York all my life. I can tell you that on September 10, 2001, as I was walking to work I saw those Towers and said to myself, "Maybe next week, I'll go to the observation deck."

Less than 24 hours later, I was standing in my uncle's home in Levittown, Long Island. He yelled, "Someone just crashed a plane into the World Trade Center." I remember scoffing, saying, "It's some idiot in a Cessna. It'll be the front page for a couple days, and then it'll be forgotten about."

15 seconds later, the second Tower was hit. And life as we knew it changed forever.

There's nothing that can scare me. I've seen the most horrifying images ever: 747s crashing into buildings; people jumping out of windows to their deaths; two buildings collapsing upon themselves and those who worked there. Gleaming statues of man's willpower and imagination, now a graveyard.

I try to get angry at those who have dragged their feet with the proposed rebuilding of the Towers and creation of a monument for the victims. But that would mean having expectations of those with power. And if you never have expectations for them, you can never be disappointed in them.

I tried to feel something today. I went down to the WTC to lay flowers and say prayers. I stared at the gaping hole and felt nothing. I wasn't angry at the politicians who have raped the memory of that day for their own well-being. I wasn't angry at the developers, who have bickered about the best way to line their pockets--and pay tribute to the dead. But mostly, line their pockets. I can't be angry at people brainwashed by a madman.

I just sighed in resignation and walked back to my train. On the ride back, I thought about family and friends and hoped for the best.

12. Hustle

Hustle Guest

My wife had an interesting observation that I heard only recently (if you don't know, she works at the US Capitol): There were several services to mark the one-year anniversary of 9/11; the people who worked there on that day had no interest in going to the services. The only folks that went were the people who hadn't been there.

I remember very nearly everything about that day for me: Waking up to CNN and trying to figure out what the hell was going on. Figuring out and flipping to a local station, which also had coverage. Listening to a well-respected local anchor saying, "We are receiving word the Pentagon has just been hit." Hearing her gasp, "Oh my God," as the first tower fell. Trying to overcome this deep sense of depression - and somehow wondering if this was armageddon - while in the shower. Driving to work and wondering if all the folks I passed were feeling as helpless as me. Helping to put a photo page together for a special edition.

I think once in a lifetime is enough for me.

Being near DC, it's tough to get away from everything. But I'll try.

Draft saved Draft deleted