1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

9/11 Museum Opens to Public Next Week

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by YankeeFan, May 14, 2014.

1. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

I'm not sure I'll ever go. Anyone here interested in going?

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/05/14/arts/design/sept-11-memorial-museum-at-ground-zero-prepares-for-opening.html?hp

2. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

I'll go. From what I've seen so far I think that the museum affords
    people the opportunity to experience 9 /11 in a fun, safe, informative
    and interactive environment.

3. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

4. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Organizers avoid a difficult moment for the honorable Chris Christie, as Adele Dazeem comes down with a cough, cough, cold and can't sing "Bridge Over Troubled Water" after his speech.

http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2014/05/15/911-ceremony-scraps-bridge-over-troubled-water-song-after-christie-remarks/

5. Boom_70

9/11 Museum leadership under fire for the souvenir shop
    which many consider crass.

http://nypost.com/2014/05/19/politicans-angered-over-crass-911-museum-gift-shop/

9/11 T shirts and Coffee mugs do seem a bit much

6. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

There is a gift shop at Pearl Harbor/USS Arizona.there are books, flags, mugs, key chains, hats, t-shirts, magnets ... the normal things sold at museum gift shops.
    Not enough time since 9/11 has passed to start selling 'official' t-shirts and key chains.
    The difference being VJ was less than 5 years after Pearl Harbor and the US is still slogging its way through some cave dwelling terrorists.

7. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

Agreed. Imus was ranting about this subject in his eloquent way this morning.

8. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Geraldo, Stossel and Imus went from liberal to conservative because no one but Fox would employ them, their opinions are bought and paid for

9. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

I cannot state an opinion on the first two, but I'm a regular listener of the latter. He's an equal-opportunity splatter-er.

10. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I may or may not check out the museum. I mostly think it will depress me. I watched the buildings burn and come down from my roof that morning -- until my neighborhood was overrun by smoke and debris and you couldn't be outside. I also volunteered at the site of the towers several times a week for a few months into 2002.

Regarding the souvenir shop. ... I posted this on here a few years ago. They set up a temporary storefront museum downtown at some point, and we walked by it a a bunch of times before deciding to go in one day. To the right they had some displays. Nothing remarkable, but appropriate. The first thing I was hit with, before I even saw any of that, though, was a gift shop area to the left . It was crawling with tourists buying key chains and trinkets. I had a really visceral response to it, and had to get out of there. It made me think that to a lot of people who watched what happened on TV, it was like a CGI effect or somehow not quite real. I have too many bad memories from that time.

11. Boom_70

The gift shop would do well with survivor celebrity appearances where visitors could
    get autographs and have their pictures taken.

I would imagine that people like Rachel Uchitel and Ashleigh Banfield would do well.

12. da man

da man Well-Known Member

You know, a big part of the reason museums have gift shops is to help pay for the museum.

Draft saved Draft deleted