1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

9/11 Museum Opens to Public Next Week

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by YankeeFan, May 14, 2014.

1. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

I'm not sure I'll ever go. Anyone here interested in going?

2. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

I'll go. From what I've seen so far I think that the museum affords
    people the opportunity to experience 9 /11 in a fun, safe, informative
    and interactive environment.
  3. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

4. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Organizers avoid a difficult moment for the honorable Chris Christie, as Adele Dazeem comes down with a cough, cough, cold and can't sing "Bridge Over Troubled Water" after his speech.

5. Boom_70

9/11 Museum leadership under fire for the souvenir shop
    which many consider crass.

9/11 T shirts and Coffee mugs do seem a bit much
  6. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

There is a gift shop at Pearl Harbor/USS Arizona.there are books, flags, mugs, key chains, hats, t-shirts, magnets ... the normal things sold at museum gift shops.
    Not enough time since 9/11 has passed to start selling 'official' t-shirts and key chains.
    The difference being VJ was less than 5 years after Pearl Harbor and the US is still slogging its way through some cave dwelling terrorists.
  7. Liut

Liut Active Member

Agreed. Imus was ranting about this subject in his eloquent way this morning.
  8. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Geraldo, Stossel and Imus went from liberal to conservative because no one but Fox would employ them, their opinions are bought and paid for
  9. Liut

Liut Active Member

I cannot state an opinion on the first two, but I'm a regular listener of the latter. He's an equal-opportunity splatter-er.
  10. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I may or may not check out the museum. I mostly think it will depress me. I watched the buildings burn and come down from my roof that morning -- until my neighborhood was overrun by smoke and debris and you couldn't be outside. I also volunteered at the site of the towers several times a week for a few months into 2002.

Regarding the souvenir shop. ... I posted this on here a few years ago. They set up a temporary storefront museum downtown at some point, and we walked by it a a bunch of times before deciding to go in one day. To the right they had some displays. Nothing remarkable, but appropriate. The first thing I was hit with, before I even saw any of that, though, was a gift shop area to the left . It was crawling with tourists buying key chains and trinkets. I had a really visceral response to it, and had to get out of there. It made me think that to a lot of people who watched what happened on TV, it was like a CGI effect or somehow not quite real. I have too many bad memories from that time.
  11. Boom_70

The gift shop would do well with survivor celebrity appearances where visitors could
    get autographs and have their pictures taken.

I would imagine that people like Rachel Uchitel and Ashleigh Banfield would do well.
  12. da man

da man Well-Known Member

You know, a big part of the reason museums have gift shops is to help pay for the museum.
Draft saved Draft deleted