1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

9 / 11 Burnout

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Boom_70, Sep 7, 2011.

1. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

"Hey, remember that day that was one of the worst days ever? Why don't we relive it every year?"

You don't ignore it. But what we're getting is beyond overkill.

2. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

No escaping on Sunday:

The Dallas Cowboys begin their 2011 season with a road game Sunday night against the New York Jets. (The game telecast begins at 7:15 p.m. on NBC.)

Sunday, of course, is the 10th anniversary of the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks, and the Jets have announced the tributes they have planned for that evening.

They include:

• Handing out American flags to every fan entering MetLife Stadium.

• A pregame performance of "Amazing Grace" by bagpipers from the Fire Department of New York, the New York Police Department, and the Port Authority Police Department.

• The unfurling of a field-sized American flag that will be held by members of the military, firefighters, police officers, and the Cowboys and Jets.

• At halftime, Robert De Niro, a New York native, will narrate a salute to family members of 9/11 victims.

• Players and coaches on the sidelines will wear "FDNY" and "NYPD" caps, and identical caps will be sold in stadium gift shops and at jetsshop.com. The hats will sell for $15, with all proceeds going to the 9/11 memorial and museum near the site in Lower Manhattan where the World Trade Center stood.

• Fans who wish to donate to the memorial can make a $10 pledge via text throughout the game by sending the word HOPE to 80088.

3. Brooklyn Bridge

Brooklyn Bridge Well-Known Member

How was the 10 year anniversary of Pearl Harbor covered? Football would have been nearing, or maybe in the playoffs.....Hockey had but 6 teams, none west of Chicago and the NBA was in its infancy.

4. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

I'm too young to remember 1951 coverage of Pearl Harbor, but it had to have been affected by the fact there was another war on at the time. I do remember that 20th anniversaries of major events in WW2, Pearl Harbor, D-Day, etc., received major coverage.
    Part of me agrees with Boom about 9/11 anniversary and part doesn't. If it's just going to be a patriotism and maudlin vicarious tragedy fest then count me out. But if some of the coverage focuses on the fact that in the macro sense, 9/11 happened because we as a society dropped the ball, and that we've been kicking said ball around the right field corner ever since, I think that could be valuable journalism.

5. rpmmutant

rpmmutant Member

Veterans Day and Memorial Day would like a word with all of you.

6. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

A 9/11 -- or worse -- every single day, for five years in parts of Europe.

9/11 is Armageddon Day to us because we absolutely have zero point of reference.

7. vicd

vicd Active Member

One of my first thoughts after the death of Lee Roy Selmon was, "At least they'll have to cut back on the 9/11 stuff in order to honor Lee Roy at the game."

8. Boom_70

For the most part both holidays probably in the right place.

9. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Why aren't there bigger Holocaust memorials?

10. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

You keep saying this.

Isn't there a Holocaust Museum?

http://www.ushmm.org/

And about a million books and movies?

"Inglorious Bastards" was, if nothing else, a Holocaust memorial with a Tarantino twist.

11. Boom_70

Exactly how I feel. Best thing I've watched is a Frontline special call
    "Top Secret America" done by Dana Priest.

"A two-time Pulitzer Prize-winning investigative reporter for The Washington Post Priest is the author, along with William Arkin, of Top Secret America: The Rise of the New American Security State.

Here she takes FRONTLINE through the rapid growth of Top Secret America, which began with an impulse to secrecy and a blank check from Congress in the days after 9/11, and which now employs nearly a million people at 1,900 private companies and 1,300 federal organizations. “These are gigantic edifices that are going to stay,” she says. This is the edited transcript of an interview conducted on June 18, 2011"

"I just think that we have accepted what it is the government says we need to do without questioning how much money it costs, without questioning whether it’s effective or not. And in part we’ve done that because we’ve accepted the secrecy that surrounds it all.

It's time to stop doing everything "9/11" on blind faith and blank check.

12. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Boom, have you read "The Looming Tower"?

The best tribute Americans can give to the victims is to educate themselves on how all this happened, rather than repeating, "They hate our freedom" like a mantra.

Draft saved Draft deleted