1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

9 / 11 Burnout

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Boom_70, Sep 7, 2011.

1. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

I know it won't be popular but I am tired of hearing about 9 /11. This week we will be on overdrive. Going to Jets / Cowboys Sunday night. I want to see the game and not be stuck in another 9/11 jingoistic tribute.

As a country we can't move forward if we keep looking back. The 9/11 train has left the station.

As far as game really hope The Jets don't use "Firemen Eddy" in tribute.
    As we learned, when towers were struck he was on his way home and heard about on radio. Faced with the decision of heading to the Towers or heading home, he chose to go home. Maybe it saved his life, but he is certainly not the guy I want to see as the face of NYFD at tribute.

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I am with you 100 percent. I hate "anniversaries" of tragic events. You acknowledge it and you move on.

Everybody has gone so overboard with this it's not even funny.

3. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

I bet those who burned to death in the Twin Towers wouldn't be sick of hearing about 9/11.

4. Mizzougrad96

I bet they would. And I'll bet their families would be more able to move on if they didn't have to rehash everything.

5. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

There is no way that this is how Boom actually feels.

6. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Agreed. Even further the country would be able to move on.

7. TheSportsPredictor

I wish they would stop talking about World War II.

8. John

John Well-Known Member

Part of me feels bad that I've largely ignored all of the 10-year stuff. At the same time I remember that day very vividly and I don't need to any reminders of how shitty it was.

9. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Could be interesting to see if the NFL can get more jingoistic than it did before the last Super Bowl. I like the NFL because it's a few hours of escapism on a Sunday. A simple moment of silence before the anthem works for me. And no matter what you do, it ain't bringing back the towers or the ones who perished ...

10. THIS... We have a woman here who lost her duaghter and we hound her every year. The same story. The girl's father spoke to us a few times and then bowed out. Mom has been very giving of her time each and every time we ask.
    As a reporter, I am tired of it rehashing it over and over. It's same every year and we beat it to fucking death.

11. TheSportsPredictor

Yes, that is embarrassing, repeating the same thing over and over and calling it news. I do see all the headlines and like most people with most things don't look much past the majority of them. Some have stood out, like a series I saw on iconic photographs from 9/11 and discussions with the people who took them.

12. Mizzougrad96

I was standing in line at the grocery store and I saw the People Magazine with the "Children of 9/11" on the cover... Heartbreaking stuff...

I want no part of reading any of it. When they start talking about it on the news, I flip the channel.

It was such a crazy day. 10 years later I can tell you almost every single thing I did that day. It's just not something that we should be forced to relive. And the people who were most impacted by it, who lost loved ones should not have to relive this every single year.

Draft saved Draft deleted