1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

9/11 Anniversary

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by YankeeFan, Sep 10, 2014.

1. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

I hate this day.

2. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

That's OK. Most people hate Mondays.

3. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Tell me why.

4. SnarkShark

SnarkShark Well-Known Member

Come on.

5. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

As I've mentioned over the years here, from 2007-15, I worked at a company which suffered major losses on 9/11 (I obviously was not there in 2001). I've spent some time with some of the families and a lot of time with my co-workers who were in different offices that day or who simply missed work.

What's amazing to me is how people cope differently. Some of the relatives, especially the parents, lived with it on their sleeves every single day. Some co-workers barely have to be prompted to tell their good luck stories, like it's a bet that they won.

On the other hand, two of the people that I worked most closely with (my boss, who was running late that day and the head of the business that I did most of my work for, who was on a temporary assignment in London) barely can talk about it. They often don't go to the memorial service and will talk about the chaos to the business in the aftermath, but very little about the people who were lost.

I often felt like a vulture, because when people heard that I worked for this company, they told me their 9/11 stories. Even yesterday, at the job which I've had for nearly 2 years, many people just stopped by my office to talk about 9/11. It actually got to the point when I worked at this company that I started to tell people that I worked for one of their lesser known affiliates, so I didn't have to engage in a 9/11 discussion multiple times a week.

YankeeFan likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted