1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

9/11/21 / Afghanistan thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by DanOregon, Aug 15, 2021.

1. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Glad I'm not taking a sip everytime I hear "Never Forget" today - it rings quite hollow, like just another advertising tag line.

SFIND, britwrit, swingline and 3 others like this.
  2. Mngwa

Mngwa Well-Known Member

Well I can't stomach is the fact that we really don't commemorate the horrific attack so much as we wallow in it.

3. OscarMadison

OscarMadison Well-Known Member

Grace:

Disgraceful:

SFIND likes this.
  4. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Surprised no one has posted this. Maybe it was just forgotten about. It's the running transcript of the AP bulletins and early stories from 9/11.

9/11

5. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

I swiped that from this board last year for my would-be Facebook Post Of Significance.

Batman likes this.
  6. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

I referenced this yesterday, but wanted to circle back with the actual video. These four minutes are more poignant than anything the Shield will roll out today.

I Should Coco likes this.
  7. britwrit

britwrit Well-Known Member

I guess he's been cancalled now but "New York,New York" by Ryan Adams always brings it back for me.

8. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

I don't get this. It might ring hollow if that's all you say, or do, and leave it at that, without taking anything in.

But I watched and listened to many of the documentaries, news shows, and looks back that have been on television over the past week, and read many of the amazing 20-year follow-ups to that day that have been written this year. I also drove (several times) by the displays of flags for the few people in my city who were killed in the 2001 attacks, and past the beautiful Pepperdine avenue of commemoration. And none of it rang hollow, or was meaningless to me.

Granted, I have always loved history, so perhaps such things kind of strike a chord with me.

But it has been a week of amazing history, relatable humanism, and unbelievable stuff that is worth going over, again and again. It still has the ability to bring on chills, tears and other emotions, too. In short, it does help people to never forget. And we shouldn't do that, anyway.

9. Mr._Graybeard

Mr._Graybeard Well-Known Member

It's hard to forget the foreign-policy tragedy this country has wrought over the last 20 years, most of it stemming from the misbegotten adventures of the George W. Bush administration.

2muchcoffeeman and TowelWaver like this.
  10. Mr._Graybeard

Mr._Graybeard Well-Known Member

Trevor Noah gets it.

OscarMadison likes this.
  11. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Adaptation to leadership roles is going well for Taliban leaders.

12. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

"Sidelined".

He's been put on the 60-day IL, to be followed by a regime of throwing grenades from flat ground to build up for a rehab stint at Mazar-i-Sharif.

dixiehack and Spartan Squad like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted