1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

9-11-14: Better or worse than 9-12-01?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Paynendearse, Sep 11, 2015.

1. I think we are worse off.
    The Middle East is a mess, more of mess than it was.
    We've wasted billions of dollars ramping up the military and law enforcement (such federal and state Dept. of Homeland Security outfits) in the name "protection," not to mention outfitting local cops with MRAPs, all sort of surplus military toys. There's been little change abroad and I think things at home are worse.
    I don't think we are any safer, or any more or less of a threat(or target), to our "enemies than we were 14 years ago.
    Plus, many people seeking to get elected continue play on these fears.

Plus, all that shit everybody else said.

2. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

Any particular reason you're wondering about where things stood a year ago?

dixiehack likes this.
  3. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

There were no American soldiers in that region before 2003. And there was no ISIS there before 2003. Indeed, there was no real Islamic terrorist presence at all in Iraq before 2003.

The root source of the problem was not pulling soldiers out, instead it was our insanely shitheaded decision to illegally invade for no damn reason in the first place. It was the one secular govt in the region that was successfully keeping the terrorist groups out, so we toppled it so that they could then come pouring in. Brilliant.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2015
    Tarheel316 and Baron Scicluna like this.
  4. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

One thing's for sure: We are a much more divided nation than we were 14 years ago. That's thanks to extremists in both parties, aided greatly by the fracturing of media.

Believe it or not, both elected leaders and the general public could have a meaningful political debate 20 years ago. Not today.

5. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

If W doesn't invade Iraq, none of this ^^^ happens

6. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Uhhhh... What?

We had bases in Kuwait in Saudi long before 2003.

7. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

8. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

We were divided before 9/11. Remind me again which party tried to overturn the will of the American electorate by impeaching the president, something only done one time previously in the country's history, over a trivial matter that had nothing to do with his job?

9. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

I think he's referring to "the region" as Iraq only.

10. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

That's not the region I was referencing, which I'd think should've been be apparent from the context of the discussion. I was talking about was the area where ISIS has seized control (roughly meaning western Iraq and eastern Syria). The world was far better off with that area as it was before we decided Iraq would be a fun place to invade for entirely fictional reasons.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2015
  11. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Kuwait which, last time I checked, shared a border with Iraq, isn't the same region?

Ok...

12. Paynendearse

Paynendearse Member

Well at this point Baghdad is more or less a country, then it was the capital of Iraq.
    I know, this coming from someone who phone texted 2014.

Big Circus likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted