1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

9-11-01

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Chef, Sep 10, 2008.

1. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

not for me. It's because it's in your cache.

2. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Oh.

Well, here's the link:

http://digitaljournalist.org/issue0111/biggart21.htm

3. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Angola, try this: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/1801

4. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

I will say this: I'm glad I watched that "102 Minutes" on the History Channel last night. It helped me get through what had been a pretty somber day yesterday, and was so captivating that it took all of my energy to get through it. I felt a lot better when I woke up today, because that documentary gave me time to process my thoughts. It was harder at work, watching bits of pieces of the MSNBC coverage on a muted TV that I wasn't really paying attention to. The show focused my attention, which I needed.

9/11 changed my life, as I'm sure it did for millions of others, and it always hits me hard even though I didn't know anybody in N.Y. at the time and don't have much connection to the city myself. I can't even imagine what kind of life I might have now, if not for the personal changes I made after 9/11, and there's a large part of me that's glad I'll never know. I'm more at peace than I ever was, and that day was the inspiration for it, tragic as it was.

It had a profound effect on me, just as Pearl Harbor and JFK did on earlier generations. While I despise the politicizing of 9/11, and the diastrous decisions made by the current administration using that as a crutch, it's a day that cannot -- and will not -- be forgotten. 9/11 still hit me as hard yesterday as it did a year ago or five years ago. I suspect that won't change for a while, if ever.

5. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

How do you explain it to your children who weren't alive then? How can you -- and should you -- even begin to broach that subject?

6. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

it comes up in their everyday lives. you field the questions and play tour guide.

7. Appgrad05

Appgrad05 Active Member

I was a freshman in college, about two weeks into the semester. Didn't have class until 2 p.m., so I decided to walk down to Bojangle's for a little breakfast. Finished up and walked next door to the Blockbuster for whatever reason. Their TVs had all been switched to the news. Saw the Pentagon had been bombed, and realized my favorite uncle was working there.
    I ran the mile or so back to the dorm, tried for 30 minutes to get through to my mother and finally did. Found out he was OK. The best man at his wedding had third-degree burns on half of his body, though.
    After that, I just remember watching TV. There was a pack of us, and we would move from room to room as people decided whether or not to go to class. I went to my world civilizations class, and the professor spent about 45 minutes discussing the Middle East (that was his area of expertise) before releasing us.
    My neighbor had just started reading the Left Behind books. He had slept through the morning and woke up around 11:30, when everyone on the floor had decided to go get lunch For about 15 minutes, until the elevator doors opened, he was convinced he had been left behind.

Draft saved Draft deleted