1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

867-5309 up for auction

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Diabeetus, Feb 2, 2009.

1. Diabeetus

Diabeetus Active Member

Jenny, jenny...CURRENTLY GOING FOR $152k??

And the auction goes through Feb. 9. Sweet baby Jesus, NY.

http://cgi.ebay.com/867-5309-phone-number-in-NYC-area-DJ-company-8675309_W0QQitemZ260354849950QQihZ016QQcategoryZ46685QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

2. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

E-bay, E-bay, who can I turn to?

3. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

This came up a few years ago. Individuals can't auction off numbers; they belong to the phone company.

EDIT: Though it seems Vonage is allowing this guy to auction off the number. Though if it's going to net six figures, will they let it go through?

4. Diabeetus

Diabeetus Active Member

It looks like they're saying it's part of the DJ company, though. That change anything?

5. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

There was someone a few years ago that called that number in every area code. They also made a web site and put who answered on each number.

Not sure if that web site is still around. I'll try to google it at some point.

6. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

"Hi, this is Tommy.

Sorry to call so late but have you seen my career? It gotta be somewhere around the house. Try the shed."

7. dooley_womack1

When I was a teen, I called the number in my area code. After a couple rings, an operator came on and said, "what number are you trying to reach?" I said, "867-5309." She said, "who are you trying to reach?" I started freaking out, quickly said, "Jenny" and hung up. I thought I was going to be arrested for harassment or something.

8. dooley_womack1

And Tommy Heath, the lead singer for Tommy Tutone, was actually in Nashville, dabbling in country, the last I knew.

9. Trey Beamon

That came later, right? :D

10. dooley_womack1

Your sister wouldn't press charges, however.

11. Diabeetus

Diabeetus Active Member

Another $6,000 higher now. Has anybody seen BYH? :D

12. Trey Beamon

Looking back, I think she was flattered over the whole thing.

Draft saved Draft deleted