1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

8-year-old boy's dad didn't run in Marathon

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by SnarkShark, Apr 17, 2013.

1. SnarkShark

SnarkShark Well-Known Member

I'm pretty close to boiling point on this. This stuff enrages me.

From Kevin Cullen's column, published in Tuesday's paper:
    http://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/2013/04/15/perfect-day-turns-evil/W7KQHq1NWFqukte3VQ14DJ/story.html?s_campaign=sm_tw

From the AP story later in the day Tuesday:
    http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2013/04/8-year-old_boy_killed_in_bosto.html

Does anyone have more information or stories that are linked to this? I can't believe there hasn't been more outrage.

Without knowing all the details, it still pisses me off, but if the father wasn't on the race list and Cullen couldn't bother to fact check even that, I think it's an inexcusable mistake.

2. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Same column also mentioned The Saudi National as suspect.

Didn't Cullen take over The Mike Barnicle slot? That column comes with a license.

3. SnarkShark

Cullen's column today:
    http://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/2013/04/16/when-doing-your-job-more-than-doing-job/QOdqUtt5oeZREmbUmhhbJI/story.html?s_campaign=sm_tw

He acknowledges the Richards' family as spectators, but does nothing to correct the lie he printed in Tuesday's paper. Absolutely gutless.

4. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

I suppose checking the list of finishers would have been too hard.

5. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

The larger issue -- and it's been an issue for years, years, YEARS -- is that journalists gotta STOP believing everything cops and firefighters say about everything and triple-check the damn shit.

6. BrianM

BrianM Member

If the kid was still waiting for his Dad on the finish line, the Dad wouldn't have been on the list of finishers.
    Just sayin'.

7. SnarkShark

There is a list of participants, no?

8. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

"who had gone out to hug his dad after he crossed the finish line"

Just sayin'. Kinda implies that the dad finished the race.

9. SnarkShark

Exactly. It really wouldn't be that hard. He didn't even single-check this (looking at the participant or finisher list).

10. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

But it was Murph from Southy. He's a good shit.

11. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

It's not much of a defense, but I'll be bold enough to say the folks compiling the lists may have had more important things on their mind, like getting the hell out of there.

Still, you find out you eff up, correct it!

12. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I don't the lists are "compiled" by a human. Races are all chip-timed, so names automatically show up on websites. At Boston, you can follow online to see every runner's mile-by-mile progress.

Checking the name would not have been difficult. I can understand it as a mistake, though, because of the chaos of the day. But not correcting it is pretty short-dicked.

Draft saved Draft deleted