1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

8.8 earthquake hits Chile; tsunami alert for Pacific

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Football_Bat, Feb 27, 2010.

1. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

One big-ass quake hits a few miles offshore at a depth of about 40 miles.

http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSTRE61Q0S920100227

Hawaii is on alert, as is Australia. I'm thinking it happened in shallow enough water that it won't be a 2004 repeat, but these things are tricky. Chile lies in a subduction zone, which means some big-time thrust with their quakes.

2. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Jeez. It's like the planet is really, really pissed off at us.

3. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

Can't imagine why. We're taking such good care of it.

4. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

THAT'S BECAUSE THERE ARE A LOT OF HOMOS IN CHILE!!!! [\Pat Robertson]

5. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

My sister and brother-in-law just got to Honolulu yesterday. Called and woke them up about this.

6. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

They're saying it's 500 times more powerful than Haiti. How is this possible? How could anything be standing?

Is it just because it was centered at a depth of 40 miles?

7. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Yes. And it was underwater.

8. wannabeu

wannabeu Member

I have family and friends in Chile. Heard from most of them (through facebook and Skype) that they are fine, thank goodness. They have said that it was really scary and that some of the destruction has been massive in certain places. Really chaotic there. Hopefully, that is the worst of it and the rest of the Pacific Rim does not get him by tsunamis.

9. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

CNN is doing a crackerjack job of explaining the science behind the quake and tsunami. The meteorologist on duty this morning brought a friend in from GaTech who is an expert and the two of them spent 10 minutes playing around on the magic screen, giving lots of explanation.

Two things I've learned so far: 1. We don't use the Richter scale anymore and 2. "Breaking news" in Spanish must also be "Breaking News" because that's what the chyrons on the local Chile feeds show.

10. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

More interesting coverage here...

http://www.honoluluadvertiser.com/

11. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

Boy howdy.

12. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

A former coworker just posted on FB that his son (at least I presume it's his son) is heading for higher ground with his kids.

Draft saved Draft deleted