1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

70s-80s-90s pop crew ... help me

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by shotglass, Dec 16, 2007.

1. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

"Forever Young" by Alphaville is a great song. Maybe not extremely obscure, but probably forgotten by many.

2. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Men at Work
    Saga
    Stray Cats
    Greg Kihn Band
    Boogie Down Productions
    Ice T
    Kool Moe Dee
    LL Cool J

3. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Among the Limewire selections for a "Men at Work" search:

Electric Avenue
    I Will Walk 500 Miles
    Ain't Nothin' Gonna Break My stride
    Come On Eileen
    One Night in Bangkok

and...

You can dance if you want to

That was apparently performed by Men who began Working, but later removed their Hats.

4. Flash

Flash Guest

How about the Shandy song off the Flashdance soundtrack? Can't remember the song title but it is the one she strips ... dances ... to.

5. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Maniac?

6. John

John Well-Known Member

I've spent the past 20 minutes watching Pop Up videos on YouTube. Good times.

7. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

"Mary's Prayer" by Danny Wilson. It's on the album "Meet Danny Wilson," which is available in a DRM-free version on iTunes.

"I Want You Back," "Bittersweet," "What's My Scene," or "Miss Freelove '69" by the Hoodoo Gurus. Criminally underrated band.

"Throw your Arms Around Me" by Hunters and Collectors, although iTunes only has a (very good) live acoustic version.

"Rust" by Echo and the Bunnymen - actually a semi-recent song by them, long after most American fans thought the band was history, and I think it's as good as anything they've ever done.

"Wonderland" by Big Country - fantastic song, every bit as good as "In a Big Country," and virtually unheard in the US.

I agree with Ragu's choices, particularly "Be Near Me" by ABC, which was easily the best thing they ever did. As for Nik Kershaw, I'd go with "Wouldn't It Be Good."

8. Flash

Flash Guest

No, Maniac was the big release off the soundtrack ... And that was done by a guy.

9. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

And my prom song. The final vote came down to that or the Madonna song from Vision Quest (Crazy For You?) Luckily, us cool kids won the voting on that one. It partially makes up for the awful white tuxedo (with matching white shoes) with royal blue cummerbund and bowtie (I look like what would have happened if the dude from Flock of Seagulls had gotten into a fight with a lawnmower and Mr. Roark from Fantasy Island) my girlfriend dressed me up in. Amazingly, she looks perfectly normal in the photos. She could walk down the street with the same look today and wouldn't get a second glance. I wonder if she was setting me up as the poster child for Classmates.com a few years from now and she knew it?

10. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

We definitely had the same upbringing. I was always real big on The Cure and New Order, but figured that stuff isn't really obscure. Wouldn't It Be Good is a good choice. Off the Pretty In Pink soundtrack, right?

I'll match your Danny Wilson and go a little "harder" on you with one She Breaks For Rainbows, by the B52s, and a Are You Ready For the Sex Girls, by the Gleaming Spires. For pop, I'll stick you with an Electric Blue, by Icehouse and Fascination, by The Human League (Don't You Want Me being the more popular choice, of course).

11. budcrew08

budcrew08 Active Member

Was Maniac done by Hall and Oates? I'm sure the Limewire has it wrong, but I can't say otherwise... too lazy to look it up.

12. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

depeche mode is a must.

pet shop boys.

your woman by white town

Draft saved Draft deleted