1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

70s-80s-90s pop crew ... help me

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by shotglass, Dec 16, 2007.

1. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Got a $25 ITunes card, and my mission right now is to find songs which have been lost in time in the 70s-80s-90s pop era. Songs which are now hard to find. With apologies to some, a lot of hit songs, I can find on Limewire just fine. I'm looking for the more obscure.

Let 'er rip.

2. HandsomeHarley

HandsomeHarley Well-Known Member

For the life of me, I cannot find two 80s songs by Steve Miller Band that I want:

Shangri-La
    Italian X-Rays

3. BYH

BYH Active Member

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  4. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Just checked ITunes search, and neither is on any album of theirs.

5. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

I'm Dreaming by Christopher Williams. Underrated New Jack mid-tempo song (on the New Jack City soundtrack, actually).

6. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Good jazzy sound. Liked what I heard on sample.

7. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Oh lord, where to begin.

I'll start with old-fashioned rock and roll.

Early 80s, let's go with 68 Guns, by the Alarm and She's a Beauty, by the Tubes.

Not totally obscure, but good songs still. Might be too easily available on Limewire.

For obscure, let's see... Hmmm... I'll move into the mid to late 80s new music/trite pop. Maybe not the most obscure songs, but not tearing up Limewire, probably. How about:

Tesla Girls, Orchestral Manoeuvres In The Dark
    Be Near Me, ABC
    Don Quixote, Nik Kershaw
    Stay, Oingo Boingo
    No One Is To Blame, Howard Jones (actually any Howard Jones works)
    Oh, L’Amour, Erasure
    It's My Life, Talk Talk
    And my prom song, Forever Young, Alphaville

8. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

Any particular genre?

A few really good full albums I can think of right off the top of my head:

Replacements -- "Let It Be"
    Their best.

Robyn Hitchock -- "I Often Dreams of Trains" (you can ignore everything after song 14, which tacked-on stuff for a previous CD release, but it's cheaper to buy the whole thing) Also, "Black Snake Diamond Role."

Zero Boys -- "Vicious Circle" Great, great punk.

As far as individual songs, The Other Ones' "Another Girl, Another Planet," which was influential beyond its actual obscurity, and the Kings' "This Beat Goes On/Switchin' to Glide," which was sorta a hit in the States, and something you'll probably have to buy as two songs, even though it's really one.

9. shotglass

shotglass Guest

No One Is To Blame ... great call (19 clean copies of it on LW ;)). Chasing it now. Seems like I heard some Robyn Hitchcock before...

10. HandsomeHarley

HandsomeHarley Well-Known Member

Came out around 1982. I forget the name of the album, might have been Italian X-Rays.

I've found them on Lime Wire, but have never been able to download either successfully.

Another tune I wish I had isn't 70-80-90s, but Jimmie Rodgers' "Two-ten, Six-eighteen". The song reminds me of my father.

11. John

John Well-Known Member

You can get a really nice live version of No One Is To Blame on iTunes. I bought it about six months ago.

And don't forget this classic:

12. shotglass

shotglass Guest

John, you almost have to have the video on that to truly appreciate it. ;)

Draft saved Draft deleted