1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

7/3 Rhoden

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Ben_Hecht, Jul 3, 2006.

1. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

I quote:

"There are only two major sports whose all-star games mean anything: the NBA and baseball . . . "

Huh?

Yes, we all know that next Tuesday's fracas determines the WS homefield edge . . . as far as I know,
    MLB is the only AS game bearing such a distinction . . . in addition to being the ONLY allstar event
    adults can watch without gagging.

Rhoden's angle, here, would be . . . what?

2. 85bears

85bears Member

Perhaps that the games are during the season, when interest is still high, and not postseason like the Pro Bowl?

3. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

NHL's midyear, too, so scratch that . . .

4. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

He said major sports.

5. Bubba Fett

Bubba Fett Active Member

And what meaning does the NBA all-star game have?

6. broadway joe

broadway joe Guest

What's the rest of the sentence? Does Rhoden explain what he means by that? I'd look myself, but I'm not willing to pay for Times Select.

7. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

I take it to mean the only two All-Star games that are greatly cared about. Dunno what the angst is about him making that (likely correct) assertion.

8. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

He leaves it dangling . . . he just keeps dribbling on about curtailing the idea of the fans having all the say in the allstar vote . . .

9. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

I read the article about groupies in the new GQ and the NBA All-Star game has great meaning to them. A disturbing, depraved meaning, but it means something to them.

10. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

It was a baseball column. No need for him to explain the NBA part of the equation.

11. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Nobody cares about ANY All-Star Game in ANY sport.

Who won the hallowed NBA All-Star Game this season? The Pro Bowl? I don't know and I don't care, and you don't either.

Draft saved Draft deleted