1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

7.1 earthquake in Honduras

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by buckweaver, May 28, 2009.

1. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Centered off the coast of Honduras, 80 miles north of La Ceiba.

At least one SJer was nearby, in Roatan. He says it was a long, rolling shake for 45 seconds and a tsunami watch is in effect. No damage so far where he is, though.

http://earthquake.usgs.gov/eqcenter/recenteqsww/Quakes/us2009heak.php

2. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/ap/top/world/6444735.html

Weird.

3. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Yes, weird, since, ahem, I'm the SJer in Roatan and there was no running on the beach in pajamas, as far as I can tell.

Centered 39 miles from the island. Never felt any real danger in terms of needing to get up and get into a doorway like earthquake veterans are trained to do. Got lots of people to come outside but everyone quickly went back to sleep. It's been 90 minutes and we haven't felt any aftershocks.

In terms of how it felt, I never, ever would have guessed this to be a 7.1 40 miles away. Maybe something from Guatamela or Mexico.

Still, things are good here. The mosquitos are more of a threat, it seems.

4. KG

KG Active Member

I'm glad to hear that it hasn't seemed to have done any real damage there, but wow, a 7.1? I thought that was big enough to do enough damage to make it hard to go back to sleep afterward.

5. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Hey, I don't reveal my sources 'til they agree to an interview with Vanity Fair. ;)

Glad you're OK ... after a 7.1. Man, that's a crazy number just to type.

6. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

A 7.1 fewer than 800 miles from Florida.

Wow.

7. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Probably didn't even cut into the 200-a-month murder rate in Guat City.

8. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

The New Madrid is about the same as the crow flies (granted, it'll be farther to SoFla). When it finally goes, it'll make a 7.1 look like kid's stuff.

Draft saved Draft deleted