1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

7.0 quake hits Indonesia

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by buckweaver, Sep 2, 2009.

1. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

http://edition.cnn.com/2009/WORLD/asiapcf/09/02/indonesia.earthquake/

No injuries reported yet; tsunami watch has expired. Still, that's a biggie. How's our Trooper?

Lot of movement under the sea recently:

2. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

The story said the quake was felt in Jakarta, but no damage reported. The quake was a pretty deep one.

A 7.0 might generate a small tsunami, but anything bigger than an 8.0 offshore, you better watch out.

3. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Isn't that where Trooper is?

4. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

For an earthquake that strong to kill only 13 in a country as densely-populated as Indonesia is pretty fortunate ...

5. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

Slappy: Yes.

6. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Shout at us and let us know you're OK, TB,,,

7. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

HOW'S THIS, SLAPPY?

:D :D :D

I was in my apartment — 20th floor, in case you're curious — at the time, just about to head to the office. I started thinking, "Wow, did I stand up too quickly? Everything's all wobbly." The swaying kept up for a minute or two, but thankfully there was only paint coming off the ceiling. A bunch of people ran out into the street during the quake, I'm told ... you'd think they'd be better prepared, being on the Ring of Fire and all.

It was an eventful day in the office, too, but that's best left for another thread.

8. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

dick...

9. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Up to 33 dead and 700 collapsed buildings.

10. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

I'm surprised it was just 700. With all the shantytowns and buildings built nowhere near any sort of code that spring up, they look susceptible to a stiff breeze, let alone a 7.0 quake.

Draft saved Draft deleted