1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

658 yards rushing on 29 carries

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Riddick, Sep 30, 2006.

1. Riddick

Riddick Active Member

Associated Press

DELBARTON, W.Va. -- Paul McCoy rushed for an apparent national high school-record 658 yards and scored 10 touchdowns Friday.
    McCoy, who had 29 carries in Matewan's 64-0 win over Burch, ran for 477 yards just on his touchdown runs, which covered 69, 1, 52, 56, 52, 20, 31, 84, 87 and 25 yards. He also had a 77-yard TD run called back by penalty.
    The National Federation of State High School Associations lists the national record as 619 yards, set by Ronney Jenkins of Oxnard, Calif., in 1995. McCoy's yardage will have to be verified before it becomes official.
    McCoy's 10 touchdowns would tie him with two others for the second most nationally. The record is 12 set by Ken Pearson of Hugo, Colo., in 1930.
    McCoy, who is averaging 364 yards per game, has 1,820 rushing yards and 26 touchdowns this season.

He's the next Dejuan Wagner maybe.

2. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Their kicker must suck, since they made only 4/10 PATs (or two 2P conversions). Why not have McCoy run them in?

Oh yeah, because then they would be running up the score. Boo, hoo.

3. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

Is he still running?

4. First mention I've seen of Matewan since the John Sayles movie came out.
    I wish to my personal god that this kid aspires to be something more than the next Dajaun Wagner.

5. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

That's unreal. I'd bet my life savings -- not much -- Matewan is a Class A school.

Maybe the opposition just isn't instinctive on defense. Think about it: How many West Virginians spend three straight hours without a firearm close by?

6. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Gotta do something to get out of the mine.

7. Anyone in our community at that game last night?

8. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

West Virginia high school football: Something to do if you're sick of banging your sister.

9. shotglass

shotglass Guest

This school must be covered by absolutely nobody. I can't find a real game story on this anywhere.

Here's his MaxPreps page, though.

10. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

There was one school, Man, that held him to 87 yards in 19 carries, so you'd think, 'They must have a pretty good defense.' Then you see that his team still won, 43-23.

11. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

No one gets sick banging your sister

12. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

This is the kind of numbers I put up on NCAA 06. Un-freakin-real.

Draft saved Draft deleted