1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

60 Minutes: Greg Mortenson Fabricated Parts of Books

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by YankeeFan, Apr 16, 2011.

1. PopeDirkBenedict

PopeDirkBenedict Active Member

Reading between the lines, I think Krakauer realized that Mortensen's MO would have been to discredit him and make him look like a bitter glory hound who was upset at being cut out (it would have been a complete lie, but Mortensen would have merely needed his supporters to believe it). But when 60 Minutes does the hit, not only does it get a nationwide television audience, it's done by someone (Steve Kroft) with no apparent axe to grind. I think Krakauer was so disillusioned by Mortensen that he wanted the cleanest kill possible.

2. funky_mountain

funky_mountain Active Member

Here are a few words from Krakauer's editor:

http://usat.ly/hOVkLC

3. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

That's pretty interesting and answers a lot of questions, though I think 60 Minutes probably should have made that clear.

Mortenson is a fool. They have the goods on him and he thinks he can make it go away with a couple of bland explanations, blaming his co-author, and relying on the good will his work has earned him.

He needs to either shut up or come clean. If he continues to lie, Krajauer and others will continue to expose him.

4. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Krakauer's piece (still free for the moment) debuts a very important experiment in longform narrative journalism. Book-length stories without the book; magazine pieces without the magazine. Whether or not the economic model for this kind of storytelling succeeds is anyone's guess.

http://www.byliner.com/

5. DanielSimpsonDay

DanielSimpsonDay Well-Known Member

Note to self: Never raise the ire of Mr. Krakauer.

What a brutally thorough takedown.

6. funky_mountain

funky_mountain Active Member

the nut graf:
    Here's more info/links about byliner.com for those interested:
    http://www.poynter.org/latest-news/romenesko/128741/byliner-aims-for-the-space-between-books-and-magazines/

7. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

My wife read Mortenson's book and was a big fan.

Our daughter is in an honors program, had an opportunity go to a dinner for Mortenson when he spoke at her college and was able to invite my wife as a guest.

My wife also stood in line at a book signing with an envelope containing a small cash donation from a little fund she sets back for charities.

When this story broke, I thought "Oh crap. '60 Minutes' is going to take down a hero," and I began to hope that they were somehow wrong about Mortenson.

Then, I heard about Krakauer and I knew that someone was going to pee in her cup of tea.

Last night, when I talked to her, she said that, in an odd way, she was not surprised. At the book signing, they did not treat her and her little donation very well, seeming to be inconvenienced by the whole trivial affair. She was told to give it to Mortenson's body guard, who gave her the creeps.

8. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Nick Kristof:

The people that really believed in Mortenson are taking this the hardest.

While his stated goal was noble and worthy, and he may have accomplished some of those goals, it doesn't change the fact that he is a fraud.

Looking at his Institute's website, it looks like he had a very small board that he had complete control of.

If he really cares about the mission, they need to find some people with real credibility willing to take over the Institute. If he comes clean, maybe he can have a role as a champion of the girls in Afghanistan, but he needs to relinquish operation control and access to the checkbook.

9. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Anyone labelled as a contributing editor to any publication which carries "Walter Scott's Personality Parade" has much to answer for.

10. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

And now Outside is finding holes in Mortenson's confession and defense.

http://outside-blog.away.com/blog/2011/04/greg-mortensons-trip-to-korphe-cant-get-there-from-here.html

11. SockPuppet

SockPuppet Active Member

Considering how Mortenson likes to fudge the truth, he should make an excellent Republican candidate for president in 2012.

Draft saved Draft deleted