1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

59 for Stuart Appleby

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by hondo, Aug 1, 2010.

1. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

For Tour players, it's harder to shoot 59 on a par-70 because there are two less par-5s to attack.

2. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

The thing is, I've played that course, multiple times. It is beautiful, and for the average player, it's not easy, but it's too short to slow down the pros. Add soft conditions, and it does become a putting contest for them. There's another course at the resort, the Greenbrier course, where they held the 1979 Ryder Cup, and it's longer, more modern and scores would have been higher. I really don't understand why they held the tourney on the Old White unless it was better suited for galleries, corporate tents, etc.

3. The resort has four courses; Old White, The Greenbrier, The Meadows and the private course - for homeowners - The Snead.

4. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Are you really that stunned?

Using that logic it would be harder to shoot 59 on a par 63 executive

5. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Sorry, that's what we call them up here.

6. BB Bobcat

BB Bobcat Active Member

Yeah, I don't get how a 59 on a par 70 is harder, or even equivalent, to a 59 on a par 72.

I'll say this, it's harder to shoot 11-under on a par 70 than 11-under on a par 72, but that's not what we're talking about.

7. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Evil, the Snead was built since my last visit to the Greenbrier.

8. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Because most par-70 courses have only two par-5s. Most par-72 courses have four par-5s. PGA Tour players make most of their hay on the par-5s. Therefore, there are two less "birdie holes" on par-70 courses than par-72 courses.

End of lesson.

9. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Two less birdie holes, two less birdies needed to reach 59. End of math lesson.

10. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Do you not understand simple math? So on those 2 less par 5's they take a 4. That 4 is the same whether it counts for a birdie or a par. Christ, this even arguable.

11. pressboxer

pressboxer Active Member

12. JC

JC Well-Known Member

What happens more often, a 3 on a par 4 or a 3 on a par 5.

This is really simple people.

Draft saved Draft deleted