1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

51 percent of Americans are not confident in the Big Bang theory

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Apr 21, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I started the thread, just because it was newsy. But, yes, the, "Americans don't accept the BBT!" may be the jump-the-shark moment for "Americans are stoopid religious zealots!" freak-outs.

2. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

It's the Big Bang Theory not Big Bang Law because this is science's best conclusion of how the universe formed based on the available evidence. If new evidence comes to light dispelling the BBL, then science will formulate something new based on that. Until then, this isn't hokum and if 51 percent of American's don't believe it's fact, then we as a country are falling on our faces when it comes to science education.

That said, if Kaley Cuoco and Melissa Rauch told me we lived in the blue eyes of a giant that is forever twirling beside a humungous light bulb, I will believe it unquestioningly.

3. da man

da man Well-Known Member

No one knows what came before the Big Bang because we can't see that far back, but there are all sorts of ideas being studied, including the idea that there are Big Bangs going on constantly, creating new universes in a vast "multiverse," and ours is just one of them: http://discovermagazine.com/2013/september/13-starting-point.

4. Paynendearse

Paynendearse Member

Gen. 1:1. The bang was from something else, which was from something else..... let the mocking begin.

5. Dick Whitman

I don't understand your post. What are you saying?

6. Paynendearse

Paynendearse Member

Good lord Dick. Something created the bang, and whatever created the bang had to have something that created that...etc. Chew on these.
    http://christiananswers.net/q-eden/big-bang.html

7. Dick Whitman

That looks really rigorous and educational.

And I still don't know what you're arguing.

I've said this on here in so many ways dozens of times:

"(T)here is no consistent secular origin theory, since every idea is based on preexisting matter or energy."

8. da man

da man Well-Known Member

As far as I know, science isn't attempting to prove God doesn't exist. It's just trying to explain and understand what can be observed.

9. Dick Whitman

Right. That's why I don't grasp what he's even trying to argue. I'm not sure how the BBT is in opposition to religion. Genesis says that God created the universe. It doesn't say what the mechanism was. If I were to say, "A bartender created my martini," it doesn't mean that he didn't put it in a shaker first or twist open a bottle of gin.

10. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

We even have atomic theory scientists on this site.

11. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

"I'm not as smart as I think I am."
    - Never Heard on SportsJournalists.com

12. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.