1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

51 percent of Americans are not confident in the Big Bang theory

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Apr 21, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Yet another dumbfuck teevee show I can happily add to the list of those of which I have never watched even a single second.

The "Big Bang Theory" itself has been the leading operative theory for the origin of the universe since the existence of the cosmic background radiation was established in the mid-1960s; it's not like this is some new discovery or invention.

Before the general acceptance of the BBT, the leading alternative theory was the "steady state universe," which essentially held that the universe had always existed, had no beginning and ultimately would have no end.

2. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

More people would understand it and accept it if the Church hadn't stood in the way ...

http://www.amnh.org/education/resources/rfl/web/essaybooks/cosmic/p_lemaitre.html

3. DeskMonkey1

DeskMonkey1 Active Member

I don't know if there was a Big Bang or if a bearded man in the sky waved a magic wand and said "be" but I simply can't wrap my head around of what was here.....before.

Because how can something - anything - not....start?

4. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I can understand people not being confident of the BBT - but it does make you wonder how far back people do accept science as fact. Do they think the theory is just a grand worldwide conspiracy of scientists across the centuries?
    I don't mind people not being convinced, I do mind people not wanting to know more.

5. Paynendearse

Paynendearse Member

They'll be another theory....

...and another....

and so on....

6. Paynendearse

Paynendearse Member

Remember the "flat earth" theory? That went well.

7. Pilot

Pilot Well-Known Member

It bothers me when it's reported that 1/3 of American's don't believe we landed on the moon, or whatever ridiculous percentage that don't believe in evolution. This doesn't bother me as much because it involves accepting some concepts that are pretty difficult to wrap your head around (like, as mentioned, the "there was nothing but a dot then something. Where did the something come from? How did it start to expand? How was all of this packed into a single point?)

And, it's not like they gave these people a quick education on the BBT, then asked them if they believed. It's not like they gave people a minute to consider how the BBT can fit within their religious beliefs. I don't think a great many people consider things like the BBT on a regular basis, and they surely don't keep up on discoveries that further prove it. If you just ask people off the cuff whether or not they believe in it, it doesn't shock me that many would say no.

8. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Melissa Rauch and Kaley Cuoco in the same show?

I'm damned confident.

9. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

So you, basically, discount all science?

10. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

Well, sure. After all, it was wrong once!

11. da man

da man Well-Known Member

The flat earth "theory" was not science. People doing actual science not only knew the earth was spherical from ancient Greek times, they actually calculated the circumference of the earth -- and damned accurately, too -- somewhere around 200 BC.

12. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

I am still not sure of the point of this thread. Half the country makes so little money that they don't pay federal taxes - that isn't a rip on people - its just to note that a LOT of people are struggling with the basics of life. According to Maslow's Hierarchy of Needs, the people who are struggling with basic physiological needs (health, safety, food) just aren't going to worry about the cosmos. It makes perfect sense to me.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.