1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

$51 million? For an unproven commodity?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Almost_Famous, Nov 14, 2006.

1. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

Lucky for him he doesn't have to do a '63 or '64 Koufax :D

2. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Three years in row of Koufax '63/'64 would almost be worth it.

3. BYH

BYH Active Member

Who IS worth it these days? Utility infielders make more than most Joe Blows will make in eight years.

It's not our money. These teams want to throw it around like Monopoly, knock yourselves out. [/Starman]

4. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

I agree. But just from a baseball percpective. take 100,000,000 over the next 3 years to spend, in addition to the current payroll of 130,000,000, but to spend 100M on 1 guy for just 3 years seems to be a poor allocation of resources, even if it is monopoly money

5. BYH

BYH Active Member

Well, the $100 million figure is slightly inaccurate. The $51 million doesn't count against the payroll. So the Sox, who were crying they couldn't match the Yankees in August, will spin it like they spent only whatever it takes to get Matsuzaka signed.

I mean, yeah, it will be close to $100 million for the guy by the time he's locked up, but it'll be half that, tops, in real money, at least as far as the Sox are concerned. What a world.

6. In Exile

In Exile Member

Makes me think JW Henry might be anxious to win quick, costs be damned. Have heard his health is not the best. And I think the Yankees look at this way - in the long run, that's $100 million the Red Sox might not be able to spend or encumber on a player at a later date (next years' trading deadline, or off-season 07/08), when the Yankees will. For this to pay off for Boston, they need Matsusake to get them another championship, or go at least three years at or near Cy Young caliber. I think he's good, but not that good (who is?), and unless Beckett gets it together, Schilling and Wakefield last another season, Papelbon's shoulder holds up and they find some bullpen help, including a closer, he could win thirty and the Red Sox will still be hard pressed to win one more game than last year. And there will be more than a few guys in that clubhouse who will be wondering why he got such a big contract before he's won a game, and now that money is apparently no object, just might want to revisit their own deal. It's a make or break acquisition, and if he breaks down eearly or goes 11-13, 4.25 in that market, no one gets out alive.

Gonna be fun to watch.

7. One question: How much can they sell NESN telecasts for over there? Mariners and Yankees games are on regularly, now 30-35 Red Sox games will be too.

8. ServeItUp

ServeItUp Active Member

I can't help but think this is the case. $51M just for a chat intermediated by Boras? He'd better be 25-0 with an ERA less than my GPA.

9. ThomsonONE

ThomsonONE Member

What if the Red Sox are simply tying him up, without the intention of signing him? If no deal is reached with Boras, the Sox get their $51M back, and the Yankees can't sign him either. The Sox then sign Zito or another front line pitcher and it's the Yankees who get no one.

10. spnited

spnited Active Member

Damn, there's an angle nobody had thought of yet ::)

11. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Selig supposedly has to closely monitor the negotiations, and if he feels the Sox aren't negotiating in good faith, he can award Matsuzaka to the team with the next highest bid, which I believe was the Mets.

12. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Not to mention such obvious four-flushing would result in the Sox being cut out of the Japanese player pool for the foreseeable future.

Draft saved Draft deleted