1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

$51 million? For an unproven commodity?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Almost_Famous, Nov 14, 2006.

1. Almost_Famous

Almost_Famous Active Member

Hmmm.

kind of makes you wonder ... did the Red Sox overbid simply to block the Yanks from getting him ... or are the Red Sox willing to pay top dollar for this guy?

A rotation of Pap, Beckett, Schilling, and Matsuzaka would be ... pretty impressive.

$51 million? To talk to somebody?

2. beefncheddar

beefncheddar Guest

I still think it would be interesting to see the Sox offer him a 4-year deal for something like $12 million to $18 million. Then dare Boras to turn it down and send him back to Japan ... where the team won't want him because it would lose the $51.1M the Sox posted.

3. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

The Yankee fan in me hopes this guy fizzles next season.

4. Angola!

Angola! Guest

It will be interesting to see. I am just waiting for him to do really good at the beginning of the season because no one has seem him yet and then watch him turn into Josh Beckett and his 5.00 ERA.
    ESPN might have a meltdown promoting this guy if he wins his first couple of starts.

5. BYH

BYH Active Member

Still holding out hope the Yanks sign Matsuzaka, A_F?

And yes: The same Red Sox who wouldn't get Bobby Abreu just to screw the Yankees are now bidding $51 million to screw the Yankees.

6. fever_dog

fever_dog Active Member

not any different than college football players getting drafted in the NFL and getting $50 million. they are equally unproven.

plus, if the red sox don't reach a deal, they don't owe anybody anything.

7. Angola!

Angola! Guest

The NFL is not a very good comparison, though, because the contracts aren't guaranteed. The Red Sox may be paying this money regretfully for years to come if he turns into a "fat, pussy toad."

8. BYH

BYH Active Member

The Sox are not bidding $51 million just to fuck around.

And this works out well for both parties: The Sox don't give deals of more than four years and Boras can get a gargantuan three-year deal and get him back out in free agency at 29.

9. fever_dog

fever_dog Active Member

but large portions of nfl contracts can be guaranteed, and with a hard cap, the contracts have the potential to be way more crippling. vince young is guaranteed almost $30 million.

to the sox? eh, it's just money.

10. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

But would Boras cooperate on a four-year deal? Everything I've read said he's bent on a three-year deal so Mats could become a free agent before he turns 30.

11. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I'm not sure Boras gets everything he wants this time, not when the other option for his client is returning to Japan and waiting to be a free agent two more years from now.

12. BYH

BYH Active Member

I meant I don't think the Sox will insist on a four-year deal. I think a three-year deal is perfect for everyone. If he's the real deal, the Sox might win a World Series and Matsuzaka makes a shitload more $$$$ in three winters. If he's not, the Sox aren't hamstrung long-term and Matsuzaka has already made a shitload of $$$$.

Draft saved Draft deleted