1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

50th Daytona 500 Running Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Italian_Stallion, Feb 17, 2008.

1. bagelchick

bagelchick Active Member

Daily newspaper here just said it started at 2 pm. It was quite a long drawn out rah rah session.

No good wrecks, yet. Pretty boring race.

2. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

And finally, a wreck ... sort of ... Ragan and Kenseth.

Kyle Busch-Stewart-Earnhardt at the caution. I'd say one of those three probably wins it.

3. Rumpleforeskin

Rumpleforeskin Active Member

Good call about one of those three winning it, well, because they are in the lead pack.

4. Pete Incaviglia

Pete Incaviglia Active Member

I'm pulling for Fat Head Stewart.

5. Steak Snabler

Me, too ... though a part of me wants Kyle Busch to win, just to stick it to Earnhardt, Hendrick and Jimmie Johnson (whose friendship with Casey Mears let Mears stay on the team rather than Busch).

6. Pete Incaviglia

Pete Incaviglia Active Member

Good call. There isn't another sport so full of politics and drama and backstabbing.

It's like a 190 mph soap opera on FOX.

7. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

Busch's attitude is what got him off the team. He's a whining little bitch, just like his older brother.

And more likely it was Mears' relationships with Gordo that saved him. They were clubbing partners at one point.

8. spnited

spnited Active Member

Funny, Earnhardt stays out and takes the lead while the other guys pit under caution.
    One of the commentators says "it seems thinks there'll be another caution."

You mean, he already knows there will be a final late caution so he can make it to the end and win.

This is so fucking fixed it's pathetic.

9. Speedway

Speedway Member

Owners Jack Roush and John Henry can't be happy about teammates knocking each other out.

10. MN Matt

MN Matt Member

C'Mon the Blaney!

11. Speedway

Speedway Member

Gordon's actually back out there, but of course many laps back.

12. Steak Snabler

When Mears won the Coca-Cola 600, Johnson was the first one there to greet him. And I've seen them described as "best friends" several times. Though I'll grant a good relationship with Gordon doesn't hurt, being the two-time defending champ's best bud probably supercedes it.

As for Kyle Busch, I'm sure there were attitude issues, but the guy's a great talent. Bottom line, they had to fire somebody, and they decided to keep JJ's buddy rather than the more-talented headcase.

Draft saved Draft deleted