1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

50th Daytona 500 Running Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Italian_Stallion, Feb 17, 2008.

1. Italian_Stallion

Italian_Stallion Active Member

I lost it when Waltrip couldn't compose himself this morning while asked about Dale Earnhardt. I'll admit to being a pathetic Earnhardt fan. I remember where I was when the race ended. I remember the drive home, the conversation I had with my wife and the news when I walked in the door and turned on the TV.

But this is the 50th. I can't believe there's not a thread. I bought my 4-year-old son a little pit stop set from the Cars movie and my daughter a pink Barbie car. I ate an entire bottle of the hottest salsa I've ever tasted. I had two beers. The Italian beef is in the crock pot. It's falling apart as a type. The French bread is at the ready.

Gentlemen, start your engines.

2. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I just figured this would be part of the running NASCAR thread.

3. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

That is where we normally put it.

Oh and I hate how NASCAR says the race starts at X time for TV, but the engines don't even start until an hour and a half later. Fuck you NASCAR, fuck you up your stupid asshole [/jayandsilentbob]

4. Italian_Stallion

I just checked. As far as I can tell, the running NASCAR thread hasn't had a post since January. But I could be wrong.

5. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

This being the Super Bowl of NASCAR and all, a separate thread is fine.
    And, just so one of my buds on the beat doesn't think I'm slipping:
    Who beat?

6. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Not the Wood Brothers.

7. Italian_Stallion

Yes, I ran home from the grocery store a little upset that I missed what I thought was the pre-race stuff. It turns out I still got home early enough to catch 90-plus minutes of pre-race BS. It's important to get psyched up for this stuff.

8. Moderator1

The race was listed as a 3:30 start time everywhere I looked - and they're going to hit that. Super Bowl TV started at 4 or so and the game at 6:20. What major event doesn't have a pregame?

9. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

It said it started at noon out here. I don't mind prerace shit, but I don't like how NASCAR tries to hide when they actually get going.

10. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

The Stanley Cup Final.

Oh. You said major event.

Nevermind, then.

11. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

I don't like the late start time. I remember the first year Fox had the 500, it started at 1 p.m. Hell, Dale Earnhardt was DOA by 5:30 or so.

Now they'll be lucky to get to the halfway point by 5.

12. Moderator1

No hiding.
    2 p.m. TV
    3:30 race start.

Draft saved Draft deleted