1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

500 workers at Seattle Times asked to take week unpaid

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by BigSleeper, Dec 19, 2008.

1. BigSleeper

BigSleeper Active Member

I saw this this morning. Apologize if it's a d_b:

Sad.

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/localnews/2008539770_apwaseattletimesfurloughs.html

2. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

I bet the upper crust and the bean-counters aren't part of that.

3. Flash

Flash Guest

"Are being asked"

Does that mean the employees can say no?

4. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Just an odd request. One, I imagine scheduling this might be difficult to avoid others having to work OT. Two, if they can afford having these folks take a week off without causing further problems, how necessary are their jobs anyway? Three, I can't see this making a big difference one way or another, say $50K is the average salary, you save what $450,000? That's going to make the difference?

5. Editude

Editude Active Member

Previous stop did this in the downturn of the early 90s. It wasn't a choice.

6. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

How's about working 39 hours for the next 40 weeks? That's the ticket!

7. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

At my two gigs ago job, we were all expected to take furlough weeks without pay. They had to be taken as a week off, but they couldn't be consecutive.

The previous summer, employees had four-day work weeks and were only paid for 32 hour workweeks.

In Godless County, employees are being told to take nine furlough days between September and May or June. They have flexibility to take the days pretty much however they choose to.

8. clutchcargo

clutchcargo Active Member

Why not just made a 3% paycut across the board for everyone? That allows workers to adjust their budgets without serious consequence.

9. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

I know of several colleagues who would slit the guy at the next desk's throat and throw him off the roof rather than take a 3% cut for the so-called good of all.

At least by trading you unpaid time off for salary not paid, the Times is giving you a whole week to search for job prospects in a new, more promising career.

10. Mitch E.

Mitch E. Member

We've been at 37.5 hours for as long as I've worked at my (Gannett) shop.

11. BYH

BYH Active Member

Major props to the writer with the stones to say fuck you to this idea.

12. Notepad

Notepad Member

Or the stupidity.
    In this pressing financial time, we must all remember how important it is to stay employed.
    So go ahead and "have the stones" to say fuck you to the bosses. While you are collecting no paycheck, albeit at a reduced rate, I'll still be getting one.

Draft saved Draft deleted