1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

50 Ugliest Cars of the Past 50 Years

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by ifilus, Nov 5, 2011.

1. ifilus

ifilus Well-Known Member

This is obvious:

[​IMG]

But to include this is rather ridiculous:

[​IMG]

http://images.businessweek.com/ss/09/10/1028_50_ugliest_cars_of_past_50_years/index.htm

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  2. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Based purely on looks, I'm surprised to see the DeLorean or the Plymouth Prowler on that list. Both were very flawed vehicles, I would not describe either as ugly. Same goes for the Hummer H3.

3. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Nice - three of our last four cars are in there.

They seem to knock off points from anything that doesn't look like every other car on the road.

And one thing about that Ferrari Enzo -- it certainly isn't ugly like the Pontiac Aztek is ugly, but Ferrari has a history of some beautiful cars, and a red Batmobile doesn't belong.

4. Care Bear

Care Bear Guest

Jesus Christ, my kid has crapped prettier things than that Subaru Baja. What the fuck??

5. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

I realize it may have been overkill if they listed everything AMC ever put out, but I present the AMC Eagle Convertible.

[​IMG]

6. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I understand dumping on the Escalade for its excess, but I don't know if it's one of the 50 ugliest.

Some of those French and Czech cars were easy picking.

7. Wenders

Wenders Well-Known Member

Literally one of the cars loaned to my class when we took driver's ed, all in a lovely puke green color. Probably couldn't sell them and didn't want them back.

Also, one of my friends rolled her Volvo 200 over 200,000 miles a few years back. May not have been the prettiest car but it went through several generations and is still going strong.

8. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

I give you the Chrysler LeBaron with a Continental kit

[​IMG]

How this was not on there but some actually far from ugliest vehicles of the last 50 were is beyond me. The Escalade would be exhibit A. Completely impractical? absolutely. Does it belong in the same category as some of those messed up Fiats, Renaults and the Aztek? I don't think so. Mind you though I think the Delorean is a completely underrated car stylistically -- a piece of crap maybe, but I love the look. They seemed to get practicality and style confused at some point on the list.

9. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Awesome, Beef03. That is truly horrid.

The Volvo 200 isn't beautiful or ugly, like most Volvos. Though I never did understand those headrests.

10. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

I might have to fight a man who says the El Camino was ugly.

11. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

Some of those cars also helped set styles in cars for the entire industry (at least in North America) and at the time were not considered ugly. The third generation Ford Taurus for example set the tone for cars for the next generation and helped break the sharp edged box on wheels mold that was prevalent from the 70s right through to the mid-90s. Suddenly we had round edges and curves again.

12. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Obligatory.

Draft saved Draft deleted