1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

50, now what?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Vombatus, Dec 5, 2014.

1. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

Recently turned 50. Now what? I am still processing this fact. Thinking of my mortality.

Oddly, my 49th year was difficult with a lot of issues and insecurity on the work front. I spent my 29th year with my parents separating after domestic violence. 19th year I almost died in the ER from anaphylactic shock (adverse drug reaction to something the hospital gave me).

Anyway, it always seems my 19, 29, 39 and 49 years were worse, so I enter 50 with some relief and things did get better on the work front.

So here I am, 50. Now what?

2. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

I have heard the sex is better.

3. Flip Wilson

Flip Wilson Well-Known Member

Especially if there's another person involved.

4. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

Don't invite Dick Whitman to the party.

5. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Into your 50th year, what's your single favorite memory?

Happy Birthday!

6. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

Thanks everyone. Xan, single favorite memory - I am going to have to think about that one. I'll get back to you.

7. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Now what?

You die.

Welcome to the club!

8. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

Has AARP already solicited you? How about the colonoscopy? My doctor scheduled mine for three days after my 50th.

Time to start counting the five years until the senior discounts begin to roll in.

9. HC

HC Well-Known Member

I loved turning 50. JR hated turning 50. Is it a gender thing?

I just feel that the older I get the more I throw off all the expectation of who I thought I would be (or was supposed to be). Thirty was good, forty was better, fifty was awesome.

10. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Don't take too long you're in your 50's now.

11. Fly

Fly Well-Known Member

My doc gave me my "Happy 50th Birthday, now go get a tube shoved up your ass" referral a few weeks before the big day last year (about to turn 51) and scheduled it the day before I turned 50. She also gave me the rubber glove treatment on my original visit. At least she's attractive and petite, and I've known her (and her family) since she was in high school (I went to grade school with her sister-in-law, and my mom and her mother-in-law were best friends). I couldn't imagine having some ham-handed dude lubing up the digits and going in for the kill, Fletch-style.

Mrs. Fly turned 50 a couple months back. No drama or anything so far for either of us. It's just a number, or at least that's what I keep trying to convince myself.

Oh, and sex? What's that??? :)

12. TwoGloves

TwoGloves Well-Known Member

I turn 52 in eight days and life has never been better. Don't sweat it.

Draft saved Draft deleted