1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

50 best high school sports movies

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by MTM, Mar 8, 2021.

1. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

The 50 best high school sports movies, ranked (maxpreps.com)

Saving a scroll to the bottom, the top 5 are Remember the Titans, Hoop Dreams, Hoosiers, Undefeated and McFarland, U.S.A. Friday Night Lights is 9 and Teen Wolf 21.

I haven't seen and/or heard of many of these.

2. Mngwa

Mngwa Well-Known Member

All the Right Moves is much better than No. 22.

3. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Haven't looked but Vision Quest better be top 5 if not top 3 or even No. 1.

qtlaw likes this.
  4. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Fast Times is worthy of No. 1 too.

5. OscarMadison

OscarMadison Well-Known Member

Dogtown and Z-Boys is underrated.
    Same goes for She's the Man. Amanda Bynes was so good before her demons got the best of her.
    I agree with entries 2-5. I loathe #1 because it's so manipulative.

Not quite true high school sports films that still deserve eyes on the screen:
    Better Off Dead and One Crazy Summer:
    Savage Steve Holland elevated stupid to an artform. In both films, he understood how to make the contests exciting, funny, and engaging enough to keep you watching. Maybe it's not the high art one gets from Remember the Titans, but it's more fun.

And this not at all stupid entry will grab you:

6. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

If "Karate Kid" is in there, then "Breaking Away" has to be too. High school kids engaged in a sport.

McFarland USA is a very good movie.

garrow and ChrisLong like this.
  7. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

They were all out of high school in Breaking Away - college age townies competing with the IU crowd. It was a good list. Sean Astin has been busy. There was a doc about a girl's basketball team out of Seattle, kind of a Hoop Dreams for girls that should probably be in the top 20.

8. Junkie

Junkie Well-Known Member

Was in the 30s somewhere. Blasphemy.

9. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

Caddyshack was based around high school golfers.

10. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

I grew up a few blocks from Dogtown and where the Z-Boys hung out. Tony Alva is a legend in town. Our junior high school was named John Adams. There was a brief movement a few years ago to rename it Jay Adams Middle School. Those guys were about 5 years younger than me.

OscarMadison likes this.
  11. SFIND

SFIND Well-Known Member

This is great as well.

Class C

12. Wenders

Wenders Well-Known Member

Let me help everyone, as a teen girl in the early 2000s, and let y'all know which ones were Disney Channel Original Movies (DCOMs):
    • Motocrossed
    • Brink
    • Johnny Tsunami
    • High School Musical (the basketball choreography numbers are pretty awesome in this)
    (If you've got kids and you want them to watch wholesome sports movies, these are all on Disney+.)

She's the Man is also great from the teen-Shakespeare-adaptation category.
    also where is Bend It Like Beckham? If the Karate Kid is on here, then Bend It Like Beckham should be too.

garrow and OscarMadison like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted