1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

50 best alt-country albums of "all time"

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by EStreetJoe, Aug 5, 2016.

1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I've heard Steve Earle described as "country music for college graduates." I guess that sound about right, though kind of pithy. I'm no hipster. I hate mainstream country music. I love alt-country, which, really, is more like real country music to me. It's a bunch of people who basically brought back the tradition of Waylon, Dolly, Willie, and Dwight, with a little bluegrass and folk stirred into the pot. Not different than Nirvana rescuing rock from Poison and Motley Crue.

Big Circus and Mr. Sunshine like this.
  2. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Todd Snider should be on this list, though I suspect he's seen as more folk than alt-country.

Neutral Corner and I Should Coco like this.
  3. Kato

Kato Well-Known Member

Love the Jayhawks, and agree that "Hollywood Town Hall" remains fresh. As far as them being more popular, when "Blue" (off "Tomorrow the Green Grass") didn't take the world by storm in 1995, you just knew it was never meant to be.
    (By the way, their newest album is pretty damn good, too.)

I Should Coco likes this.
  4. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

I'm surprised they put the Mekons on the list but left off the Waco Brothers whose Cowboy in Flames album should've been on here. Their cover of "Big River" was called "Cash meets Clash" by one critic.
    I guess they didn't view Southwest rock (Pistoleros, Refreshments, Roger Clyne & the Peacemakers) as alt-country otherwise those bands would've been on here as well.

5. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Acoustic Guitar had a great cover story a few months about how Steve Earle and Dwight Yoakum saved country music.

Great piece although I don't buy the premise.

The explosion of country music popularity has more to do with Garth Brooks and Shania Twain than Steve Earle

6. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

No Joe Ely, Musta Notta Gotta Lotta?

Heck, even Grievous Angel and Sweetheart of the Rodeo were about as alt country as could be when they were released.

7. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

They would certainly make the list of best Cosmic American Music albums.

8. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

#whatabouttheeagles

9. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

10. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Learning some new bands from this. Never heard of The Questionnaires ... really enjoying the posted song. Will look for some more from them. Reminds me of some of the stuff that came after in the '90s like Tonic, Better Than Ezra, Collective Soul, Soul Coughing. Maybe not exactly the same, but sounds more like those bands to me than an alt-country band. I see their bass player played with some little-known acts that I enjoy -- Gin Wigmore, Albert Hammond Jr. And he even played on some Ryan Adams and The Cardinals albums!

Don't know if this guy is considered alt-country or just country throwback, like I would label him (ala Sturgill Simpson), but Luke Bell is a guy who maybe someday could make that list. Pretty good rockin' throwback country CD he just put out. Margo Price and Lydia Loveless are in the arena as well.

TigerVols likes this.
  11. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Had never heard of Luke Bell but holy shit as a fan of Dwight Yoakam did I love this one....

12. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Yup, will listen to everything he ever does from now on because of that song. Helps that the rest of his debut CD is excellent. Hope he gets some run.

Luke Bell: The Country Gentleman – SLUG Magazine

Draft saved Draft deleted