1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

50 best alt-country albums of "all time"

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by EStreetJoe, Aug 5, 2016.

1. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

Lots of good stuff on that list. I suppose they went with Wilco's "Being There" instead of "AM" because the former is a better album overall, even as it marks their departure from the alt-country genre.

And yes, "Trace" is a better album than both of those ... although it's a peak Farrar hasn't reached since. (Sunshine beat me to it!)

Of all the 1990s alt-country albums I own, "Hollywood Town Hall" might be the one I still play the most. Some of those songs are literally spine-tingling for me. The Jayhawks should have been much more popular.

Big Circus and Mr. Sunshine like this.
  2. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I guess I just don't understand the definition of alt country.
    I love Gillian Welch and Lyle Lovett. I would never have thought to call them alt country.

3. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

Never was a huge Jayhawks fan, but I'm reminded to put on some Golden Smog later today.

4. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

An "alt-country" supergroup (whatever that means).

I think it's a label early 1990s music writers came up with, about the time "No Depression" came out (actually, there was a magazine named after that album).

It's kind of like "Emo" music ... the definition is very flexible and immediately eschewed by "Our Music Can't Be Labeled" artists.

5. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I guess I always just thought of it as country music that was influenced or included elements of 'alternative' music.
    But 'alternative' is such a nebulous categorization itself. It's a BS way to label a broad array of music that can be difficult to fit into genres.
    I find it difficult to wrap my mind around a category that encompasses Gillian Welch and Drive-By Truckers.
    Once the category becomes that broad it ceases to be a category.

I Should Coco likes this.
  6. Mr. Sunshine

Related, I was glad to see JTE get some love on this list. But I don't consider his music "alt" in any way. He makes country music.

7. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

One of the greatest Dylan covers ever:

EStreetJoe and TigerVols like this.
  8. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I like Paste. On the occasions I've read it, it has led me to some interesting music.
    But I'm inclined to think that alt country is just a catch-all for country music that is acceptable to hipsters.

9. Mr. Sunshine

Perhaps, although I don't know too many fellow fans of much of this music I'd call hip. I'm certainly not. And alluding to what I mentioned initially, whoever made this list seems to have more taste than your average hipster.

10. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I don't consider myself a hipster, but I've been accused of being a hipster.
    On this forum I was once called an uber-hipster, which sounds like some kind of scary hipster-Nazi hybrid.

Perhaps I am a hipster without realizing it. Lack of self-awareness seems like a hipster characteristic.
    When I was younger I was often guilty of eschewing things just because they seemed too popular.

I'm in a quandry over this, and many other things.
    In general, I don't like country music; however, I like Gillian Welch and Emmylou Harris.
    I bought 'Wrecking Ball' when it was released.
    Does that make me a hipster or an alt country fan or both?
    I've never thought I was either.

11. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Does the fact that I just pointed out that I bought Emmylou Harris' 'Wrecking Ball' before Paste pronounced it great make me a hipster?

12. Mr. Sunshine

I grew up in the South and mercilessly mocked country music as slow and dull. Then I discovered Uncle Tupelo while rummaging through CDs at Barnes & Noble during a weird time when I was looking to fill a post-divorce void. UT led me to Gram Parsons which eventually led me to DBT and so on and so on. Now I have the greatest taste in music of anyone I know.

Big Circus and Dick Whitman like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted