1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

5 for 5: Another music thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by YGBFKM, Feb 10, 2013.

1. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Misunderstood is awesome live ... I can't believe I didn't have a place for Jesus, etc. Needs to be a top 10 for Wilco. Ha.

2. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Jesus, etc. is great, but I think it suffers from the same thing as Outfit.

3. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Big, why do you hate Patterson Hood? :D

4. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Yeah, you're probably right. Saw Wilco in Durham once and Jeff just held the mic out and let the crowd sing the first couple of verses of that song. Great memory.

5. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

Yeah, I realize there is a trend to my list. It's no hate for Pat - if you'd made it 10 for 10 I'd have a few of his songs in there (Two Daughters, Thanksgiving Filter, Flying Wallendas, etc.) It's more of an enduring, borderline creepy Cooley love than anything else. His songs just hit that sweet spot for me. And if "Back of a Bible" had gone on a Truckers album and not a Hood solo album, I'd have that one in the top 10.

As for Wilco, Cosmo's post reminded me of the shows I've seen and made me feel bad for leaving off California Stars. What a great, great live song (and it's damn good on Mermaid Avenue, too).

6. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

I could make an entirely different list for just live Wilco songs.

Spiders (Kidsmoke) for instance. Not all that into it as a track, but live it's fucking amazing.

7. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

You could have just started "What are your 25 favorite alt-country songs?"

8. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Patterson was always my least favorite of the three. Never disliked him. Not at all. But he would always come in third. I get that the Truckers basically wouldn't be the Truckers if he wasn't the guy cobbling together the whole spooky Southern mystique. And I always liked a lot of his stuff. Nine Bullets. Company I Keep. Let There Be Rock. Dead, Drunk and Naked. Lookout Mountain. All of them are among my favorites. I just wasn't in awe of him like I was Cooley and Isbell.

But Righteous Path changed the whole way I look at him. I don't know why, exactly. Sometimes a song connects with you for reasons that are difficult to explain. I just think it perfectly captures the angst of modern living, what I feels like drown slowly in the worries of life, and it has so many wonderful lines. Got a grill in the backyard and case of beer. Got a boat that ain't seen the water in years... might be one of my all-time favs, because I can picture it so perfectly.

I feel like that song made me reexamine all of Patterson's stuff. Obviously he's always written about big themes, but that one finally spoke to me the same way Zip City and Streetlights did.

9. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Patterson doesn't have the natural talent and flair of Isbell or Cooley, but he's a guy who has earned everything he's achieved. To me, that comes through in his songs, and I have a soft spot in my heart for people who achieve success through putting their head down and working their ass off.

I was shocked at how shy he was when I met him briefly a few years ago. He's not a natural showman, but he has dragged that band -- through all it's various lineups -- to heights I think only he believed possible.

Patterson Hood is the real Bruce Springsteen.

10. albert77

albert77 Well-Known Member

First Five:

Grateful Dead
    Box of Rain
    Candyman
    Wharf Rat
    Black Peter
    Morning Dew

The Who
    My Generation
    Pictures of Lily
    Won't Get Fooled Again
    I Can See For Miles & Miles
    The Real Me

Jimi Hendrix
    All Along the Watchtower
    Purple Haze
    Machine Gun
    The Wind Cries Mary
    Hey Joe

Neil Young
    Cortez the Killer
    Cinnamon Girl
    Lookout Joe
    Powderfinger
    Rockin' In the Free World

The Doors
    Roadhouse Blues
    The End
    Love Me Two Times
    Light My Fire
    Moonlight Drive

My second five will be coming shortly (LOL)

11. Hey Diaz!

Hey Diaz! Member

All this Wilco got me interested in checking out the rest of their catalog.

I only own Summerteeth and YHF, so I just bought used CDs (yes, CDs) of A Ghost Is Born, Sky Blue Sky, Being There, Wilco A.M. and the live album in Chicago. Looking forward to it.

12. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

YGBFKM-as-a-17-year-old's list

Doors
    L'America
    Horse Latitudes
    The Soft Parade
    Wishful Sinful
    Maggie M'Gill

Zeppelin
    Since I've Been Loving You
    Down by the Seaside