1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

5 cops killed, more injured during protests against police in Dallas

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Baron Scicluna, Jul 7, 2016.

1. SoloFlyer

SoloFlyer Well-Known Member

Based on the reports of four suspects, the possibility of bombs around Dallas and the overall coordination of the attack, it seems likely this was planned well in advance.

All indications are the protest came together quickly after the incidents in Louisiana and Minnesota. All indications are that the protest was peaceful and coming to an end when the shootings started.

I don't know what it is, but I feel certain that there is much more to this story.

Gator likes this.
  2. SoloFlyer

SoloFlyer Well-Known Member

Also, kudos to NBC for being the only broadcast network to break in with extensive coverage. CBS and ABC haven't done anything at all from what I've seen. This is a massive story and those two are failing miserably with it, even with the late hour.

3. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

to echo what Smash Williams said ... way too many questions to answer at this point.

But it's sickening to see there were at least four people involved in targeting and killing cops. The idea that this was a coordinated effort to kill as many police as possible makes the senseless violence even worse.

Smallpotatoes likes this.
  4. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

5. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

I cynically feel like this pretty much ends any hope of reasonable progress between police and the black community in the next two decades.

Mr. Sunshine likes this.
  6. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

We don't know the ethnicity of the shooters yet. Local radio station is calling it a terror attack, which it certainly was.

But who pulled it off? A group who was extensively trained in tactics that they don't teach in the Grove. Just saying.

7. Smash Williams

Smash Williams Well-Known Member

For what it's worth, I have a friend who studies Islamic terrorism and how they use the internet (she has a PhD in communications and speaks Arabic), and she said the chatter in those channels doesn't indicate they know anything about it. "Just people reporting that it's happened and that its related to BLM" were her words of their online talk about it.

Of course, that's really preliminary as well. It could be lone wolves like the Orlando and San Bernadino shooters. But it's a thought I also had initially. It could also be a McVeigh/anti-government motive, a helter skelter motive or a BLM-related motive with some people who had been planning for a while and saw an opportunity. It's not worth to really speculate on motive until we know more.

On the news front, there's a fourth suspect still holed up in the garage of/near a local community college. Professors and students have been on lockdown since the protest march started and are still in the campus building(s).

8. Smash Williams

Smash Williams Well-Known Member

Local news reporting a fifth officer has died.

9. Smallpotatoes

I'm just disgusted by the whole thing. I don't care to point fingers, score political points or debate anything.
    I have nothing more to say about this.

10. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

It's being reported the suspect holed up in the garage is dead. Shot himself.

11. Smallpotatoes

I saw that, too.

12. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Sweet Jesus, RIP to these officers.

Draft saved Draft deleted