1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

49ers Leaving San Francisco - or just posturing?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by RokSki, Nov 9, 2006.

1. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Re: 49'ers Leaving San Francisco - or just posturing?

Oh, so the LA stadium problem, which was spelled out for the hundredth time just two weeks ago at the owner's meeting, has been solved? Who writes this shit? There is NO NFL STADIUM IN THE LOS ANGELES AREA.

No stadium. Which part of that do people not understand? Buckweaver spelled it out before, I will do it again.

The Coliseum is not NFL-caliber. The city/county/state is not going to pay the $700 million to upgrade it. No owner is willing to.

The Rose Bowl is not NFL-caliber. There are zoning restrictions in the neighborhood.

There is no stadium in Anaheim. Nor anywhere else in So Cal. No municipality has a spare billion dollars to build a new one.

Writers, quit using Southern California in your stories as a possible destination. You look ridiculous when you do.

2. farmerjerome

farmerjerome Active Member

That's a good point.

The 49ers are classic. It would be like moving the Packers

3. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

The 49ers should stay put or stay in the Bay Area at least. Don't come to L.A. because TV stations here might put your game on TV more and they already do that with Rams and Raiders. Ugh.

4. RokSki

RokSki New Member

Hopefully this will restore God's love in the 49ers, Lee. They need it.

5. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Not if they move to South Fresno.

6. RokSki

RokSki New Member

Point taken. That's why I added the "or just posturing?" to the thread title. The 'move to LA' seems like a convenient red herring anytime an NFL owner wants to increase his or her leverage for getting a new stadium funded by taxpayers.

7. sportsnut

sportsnut Member

As much as I want a team in Los Angeles, I know that it will not happen. If a team comes to LA it will be in 2010+. The LA Major is working on getting a team, but like you all said LA does not have a stadium or a location to build a new one.

Riverside was mentioned as a location, but thats not really Los Angeles. Plus if we want to watch a team lose game after game we got UCLA every Saturday and yeah the mighty Trojans of USC.

We got 2 NBA Teams
    We got 2 Baseball Teams (Dodgers, Angels)
    We got 1 Arena Football Team (The Avengers)
    We got 2 College Football Teams
    We got 2 Semi Pro Football Teams
    We got 2 Womens Pro Football Teams
    We got a pro football team (SD Chargers)
    We got 39 Junior College Football Teams
    We got 200 High School Football Games
    We got the best NFL games on TV because we don't have a team.

All of that is enough football for me. SF can keep the team. Raiders and Rams need to stay in there city already. People in LA still hate them for leaving twice.

But if they come, they come.

8. Crimson Tide

Crimson Tide Member

Oh. I've been in Idaho toooo fucking long.

Thanks for the reality check.

Otherwise, sounds like many of the same reasons (but not all) why Birmingham will never have a team.

9. RokSki

RokSki New Member

The Yorks, as inept and tin - eared as ever, let the LA trial balloon hang for all of what, about 12 hours? I'm not sure which would be worse: Their current mismanagement of the team, or if Felon Eddie would have been allowed to keep the team.

Whatever. Say hello to YOUR "Santa Clara 49ers." Al Davis is snickering somewhere in a track suit. It's only been 5 years since his last Super Bowl appearance.

10. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

Did someone actually list arena football and women's pro football teams (2) as working alternatives to the NFL? You people are breathing in too much of that shit smog air out there.

11. Crimson Tide

Crimson Tide Member

No worse an alternative choice than the XFL team.

12. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

If an NFL team announced today they were relocating to L.A., the majority of the people in Orange County and L.A County would do a collective backflip in excitement. To think otherwise is naive and stupid.

Stadium would still be an issue, obviously, but it would sell out of season tickets in no time at all.

The Rams and Raiders didn't leave because of non-support. They chased fat paychecks in Oakland and St. Louis.

Draft saved Draft deleted