1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

49ers Leaving San Francisco - or just posturing?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by RokSki, Nov 9, 2006.

1. RokSki

RokSki New Member

Just heard on ESPN Radio that the 49ers have ended negotiations with the city for a new stadium. Supposedly, they are going to move to Santa Clara or L.A. (Would the Santa Clara move have anything to do with the A's stadium in Fremont?)

Anybody have any info on this?

2. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

L.A. 49ers?

Just crossed the wire:

Edit: beat me by 44 seconds.

3. RokSki

RokSki New Member

Re: 49'ers Leaving San Francisco - or just posturing?

Every dog has its day, Idaho. I guess today was mine. Ruff, ruff. : ) Don't worry, it won't happen again.

4. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Damn, the Yorks have messed up that franchise.

5. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

Candlestick is the worst facility in the NFL. Methinks L.A. football fans and the NFL is looking at this verrrrry closely.

6. BYH

BYH Active Member

Would anybody give a shit? I mean, besides Chris Berman?

7. Highway 101

Highway 101 Active Member

To the 49ers:

PLEEEEEEEEASE DON'T LEAVE THE BAY AREA!!! That's the homer in me. I'll think about it clearly on Thursday.

There's one answer BYH.

8. BYH

BYH Active Member

haha sorry Highway. My apologies for dumping on you.

What I probably should have said is can you imagine this happening 10 years ago, when the Niners were the NFL's model franchise. Oh well, gives us hope the arrogant Patriots will fall someday too.

9. RokSki

RokSki New Member

Wicked - You got that right. The York's run the 'Niners like it's just another business, pinching every penny. But the responsibility for this situation falls squarely on Eddie DeBartolo himself: If he doesn't get convicted of a felony and squander a substantial amount of his fortune at around the same time, he still owns the team. Guy just didn't keep himself in check, so sister and hubby York scoop up the team.

It was embarrassing to see Michael Silver (who owes his Sports Illustrated job to covering the Super Bowl - era 'Niners) shilling for Debartolo about 4 months ago, saying how DeBartolo was but a 'minor' felon, and how he really should be able to reacquire the 49'ers, or that if he doesn't do that, he might even purchase the Raiders. Real slumming stuff for Silver, playing DeBartolo's "Trial Balloon" boy. Not one of his finer moments. But Silver had either just come back from, or was just about to attend, a 49'ers Super Bowl teams' reunion, and he had to pay his DeBartolo fealty tax, so he did his duty.

Idaho - Totally agree. Brutal stadium. Not sure if it was worse for baseball or football. I remember seeing a MLB game there in the middle of summer in the 80's and I thought I was going to get frostbite.

I think the league and a new commissioner eager to make his mark will be looking very hard at this. I wouldn't be surprised to see Al Davis try to get in on it too, and offer to move Oakland back to LA and have San Fran do something in Santa Clara. This is going to get very interesting.

10. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Nancy Pelosi becomes Speaker of the House and her football team exits stage left.

Stupid liberal Congress!

11. RokSki

RokSki New Member

BYH - Columbo would care, as would Berman. Other than that, maybe a couple of bored and hungry seagulls. :) The Raiders, who don't look as bad having another embarrassing team in the general vicinity to hide their own ineptness?

12. Double J

Double J Active Member

Maybe the team should move to Vegas and change its name to the Sin City 69'ers. :D

Draft saved Draft deleted