1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

42 — Jackie Robinson biopic

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Steak Snabler, Sep 21, 2012.

1. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Trailer was released yesterday (film comes out in April):

I'd say this has potential, though I'm hoping the "music of Jay-Z" is not as prominently featured in the film as it is in the trailer.

And Harrison Ford is completely unrecognizable as Branch Rickey.

Also features Christopher Meloni as Leo Durocher, Lucas Black as Pee Wee Reese and John C. McGinley as Red Barber.

The guy playing Robinson (Chadwick Boseman) I'd never heard of or seen before that I recall.

2. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Mel Gibson has to have a spot as one of the St. Louis Cardinals.

3. Steak Snabler

"Brooklyn ... we go hawd! ... Jackie Robi'son ... we go hawd!"

4. young-gun11

young-gun11 Member

I can't wait to watch. Much of it was filmed in Birmingham and Chattanooga. One of the stars is Lucas Black (Slingblade, Friday Night Lights [film], Fast & Furious: Tokyo Drift).

5. Steak Snabler

Yeah, as I mentioned in the original post, he plays Pee Wee Reese.

6. young-gun11

young-gun11 Member

My post didn't finish... it was supposed to say a native of Alabama with the coolest story ever about how he broke into films.

7. lantaur

lantaur Well-Known Member

CJ Nitkowski plays Dutch Leonard, IIRC. He Tweeted about being amazed how he actually got a speaking role despite no acting experience.

8. John

John Well-Known Member

They were here in Chattanooga for about a month filming at Engel Stadium (which had been condemned). They turned the outfield wall into a giant green screen.

9. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Spike Lee had been trying to do this one for awhile. I think at one point it was going to be the movie he did after Malcolm X.

10. Steak Snabler

This one's written and directed by Brian Helgeland, who has adapted some great screenplays (L.A. Confidential, Mystic River, Green Zone among them), but hasn't done anything really that notable as a director.

11. RubberSoul1979

RubberSoul1979 Active Member

So no Philip Seymour Hoffman as Durocher?

12. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

He's going to play Duke Snider. :D

Draft saved Draft deleted