1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

40th Ryder Cup

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by trifectarich, Sep 23, 2014.

1. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Know what's been consistent throughout the Ryder Cup for the past 20 years (when its become competitive again)? The freakin' US Captains being beholden to the "experienced" guys. Over and over again, you see that the US loses when a "seasoned, experienced vet" loses.

When was the last time the Cup hinged on a youngster and he failed? More often than not, they have less scar tissue and they show up like Reed and Speith, then they get benched while some guy on the downside (Strange, Fuyrk) gets the extra chance to get hammered yet again.

I am probably way off but I have more memories of the Euros sticking with the hot young unknown gun than sitting him and guess what? he's the guy who keys the victory.

2. Gehrig

Gehrig Active Member

They had a chance to seize the momentum but gave it away. I didn't like the Mahan/Web picks and I really don't like them now. Bubba can't carry Web and Hunter really hasn't played well in two seasons. Keegan is only there because everyone assumed he and Phil need to be together. I don't get it.

If Bubba and Phil need the "perfect" partners to step up they should ride the pine, especially when their crutches aren't in form. For all the crap Reed has gotten he played well.

3. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Some Ryder Cup records of "seasoned, experienced veterans," counting today:

Furyk 9-18-4 overall, 5-15-3 in doubles
    Mickelson 15-19-6 overall, 11-14-6 in doubles
    Couples 7-9-4 overall, 5-8-2 in doubles
    Love 9-12-5 overall 6-11-3 in doubles
    O'Meara 4-9-1 overall, 3-5-1 in doubles
    Strange 6-12-2 overall, 4-9-2 in doubles (0-5-1 in fourball)
    Stricker 3-7-1 overall, 2-5-1 in doubles
    And of course, Eldrick T. Woods 13-17-3 overall, 9-16-1 in doubles
    For kicks, Bubba, Simpson and Mahan are a combined 8-9-3 overall.

It's like the old joke about the coach of a bad college football team on the day camp opens: "The good news is we have 16 returning starters. The bad news is we have 16 returning starters."

This is frightening: the only American players on this year's team who have winning Ryder Cup records are Keegan Bradley (4-2) and Zach Johnson (6-5-1). With their early losses, Kuchar (3-3-2) and Mahan (3-3-3) dropped to .500. Of course Spieth and Reed are 1-0. After only playing 14 holes in curb-stomping Poulter and Gallacher (with six birdies and only one bogey), they certainly had momentum and probably more energy than anyone on the course -- until they got sat down.

Frightening news II: Outside of Bradley and Johnson, there are only four other Americans who are still regulars on the PGA Tour and have winning Ryder Cup records: Jason Dufner (3-1, hurt), Dustin Johnson (4-3, rehab), J.B Holmes (2-0-1) and Boo Weekley (2-0-1).

Tom Watson should have walked into the PGA offices in Palm Beach Gardens the day after the Tour Championship and told them he was dumping Mahan and Simpson and picking up Horschel and Kirk, under threat of resignation. I love the excuse about how they can't push the captain's deadline back further because they have to get the guys fitted for their uniforms and have their names stenciled on the bags.
    You think Billy Horschel wouldn't go out there right now and kick some ass with a shirt from the pro shop and a carry bag left over from his Gator days?

4. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Thanks that's what I was looking for (but was too lazy to get.)

5. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

You get credit for knowing it was a problem.

6. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

The lost 1/2 point from Fowler and the mess Watson made of not playing Reed/Spieth will be huge.

7. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Watson's getting hammered from all sides about this.
    Bottom line: Two kids, one 21 years old and the other 24. They seal-clubbed a team that included Europe's Beast Mode, Poulter, who was 12-3 in the Cup, in only 14 holes. You not only don't play them again, against all common sense and logic, but now they have overnight to see what's going on with social media/golf media, and who knows what that will put into their minds or affect them. You sure as hell have lost the momentum they had.
    Oh well, McGinley is sitting Garcia after he played well with McIlroy. At least he kept Rose and Stenson together.

8. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

The "genius" of Tom Watson as captain ended with that benching of Reed/Spieth. He's just another U.S. captain who is making sure everyone gets to play, experience takes precedent in foursomes (even though the U.S. sucks donkey balls in that format in Ryder Cup), blah blah blah. This sure smells like another Cup where the U.S. will trail by 2 to 4 points before Sunday and need a Hail Mary in singles again.

I would love to see a captain come out one time and say if anyone wins in the morning, they're automatically playing in the afternoon, anyone loses, they're automatically sitting, and a pair that halves will be my choice. Granted, Mickelson/Bradley played in the afternoon today after winning and lost, but so what? I don't see how you get second-guessed for trying to ride winners and parking losers.

9. joe

joe Active Member

Orange slices for everyone!

10. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Euros are hitting a shitload of kick-ins.

11. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Give me the young up-and-comers any day who are too stupid to know how important the Ryder Cup is.

12. This ..

Younger guys and first timers seem to perform better. .. Leonard, AK, Hunter Mahan and Bubba Watson (at Valhalla?), Garcia, Seve, ...

I think it was Mickelson who already threw up an excuse for this weekend when he said earlier this week the guys were tired (from the Fed Ex Cup events).

http://www.sbnation.com/golf/2014/9/25/6232461/phil-mickelson-2014-american-ryder-cup-team-roster-preview

Draft saved Draft deleted