1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

40th anniversary of the moon landing - July 20

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by OnTheRiver, Jul 14, 2009.

1. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

Yeah, your "girlfriend from Canada."

2. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

You forgot Tang.

Anyone in the media should go to You Tube and do a search for the CBS "As it happened" broadcasts of the launch, moon landing and moon walks. Amazing how professional they are, without modern graphics, etc. I love the animation of the moon landing.

Walter Cronkite had tears in his eyes on live TV twice ... Kennedy assasination and "The Eagle has landed."

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  3. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

Played it 'til your fingers bled?

And Starman--that's a wonderful story.

4. Del_B_Vista

Del_B_Vista Active Member

The makers of Tang didn't exactly give all the details of how their product was used in the space mission. To make electricity with the fuel cells, they just combined liquid hydrogen and liquid oxygen. A beneficial byproduct is water. The water coming out of the process and equipment had a metallic taste. To help overcome that, astronauts would just put a little bit in that big container to help cut that taste.

5. OTD

OTD Well-Known Member

I saw that show as well. I don't remember the shower, hotel or Chicago part. I suppose I brainlocked after "lost my virginity"

6. Drip

Drip Active Member

There have been a few threads about the moon landing in the past. When it happened, I believed it did. Now that I'm older, I'm not so sure it happened on July 20, 1969.

7. BYH

BYH Active Member

Me and my baby in 69.

I heard a great interview with Adams about 15 years ago in which he talked about the criticism he got for writing a song about the summer of '69, when he was nine years old. He said it was obviously a pivotal summer in world history and a summer with which so many people could nostalgically identify.

And then, after a moment of silence, he added something like "Plus, there were all the obvious double entendres in writing about 69."

8. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

I seem to remember reading that the song was originally about some summer in the 1970s but someone got him to change it.

9. Charlie Brown

Charlie Brown Member

What the ?

Oh, I get it now.

10. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

The Paul Davis song "'65 Love Affair" was originally about '55 until the suits made him change the song to appeal to more Boomers.

11. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Watched in amazement on my portable black & white TV, as a 14-year-old.

12. Colton

Colton Active Member

Remember my mom waking me to go to the living room and watch.

I was 5.

Draft saved Draft deleted