1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

401-KO'd

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Football_Bat, Oct 7, 2008.

1. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Scary, ain't it?

2. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

I thought the same thing. Recycling pays back 20% of the cost of beer? Get me some of that.

3. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

I have put in about $8,000 so far this year . . . account is down about $40,000.

I just keep telling myself, "I'm buying cheap now. I'm buying cheap now . . . "

4. poindexter

I hate to be a braggart, but I am up one and a half percent this year. I got out of the market completely last october or november. Thank god.

5. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Do what Warren Buffet is doing, keep buying. Now is the time to buy (admittedly different if you are retiring or already retired). History shows that eventually the market will rise again. Investing means having the stomach to ride out the drops. If you look back to 2001, if you had bought eBay, Google, Wells Fargo and say GE, you'd have done pretty well. Diversify and keep investing. Trying to time the market is one of the most difficult things and will have you missing out on some gains.

6. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Too bad we all went along like sheep when 401-Ks were introduced to phase out defined benefit pension plans back in the '80s.

The introduction of 401-Ks was corporate pension relief disguised as an employee benefit. Luckily, we haven't bought into the privatization of social security.

Now, hopefully, we resoundingly reject McCain's plan to relieve corporations of their health insurance responsibilities by sticking everyone with a $5,000 tax credit instead.

People need to wake up about these things.

7. poindexter

Past results are no guarantee of future performance. I am not saying that you are wrong, but the economy in 2008 and 2009 won't be in the same place as it was in 2001.

8. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

There's no way it can be..

9. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

That's my thought. I'm not even going to look at this statement, because I can guess what it says.

10. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Look at a DJIA chart from '29 through (say) '59, and try not to gag.

11. poindexter

We need another scam or ponzi scheme. We've already blown thru high-tech and finance this decade - and the Enron energy scam wasn't market-wide. What's next on the horizon?

12. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Land...
    "Son, stocks may rise and fall, utilities and transportation systems may collapse. People are no damn good, but they will always need land and they'll pay through the nose to get it! Remember," my father said...

Draft saved Draft deleted