1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

400,000 Miles!

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Football_Bat, Jul 6, 2006.

1. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

On Dec. 26, 1997 I bought myself a Chevrolet S-10 pickup and rolled it off the dealer's lot with one mile on the odometer.

On July 6, 2006 I rolled it over to 400,000 miles and the bitch still runs fine (three engines later, but the second engine threw a rod at 3,000 miles and was under warranty).

2. bydesign77

bydesign77 Active Member

I've got you all beat.

2004 Nissian Sentra, bought in Nov. 2003... Just rolled 100,000 miles on it today, in less than three years.

3. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

I did mean it's on its third engine, to clarify. A co-worker, whom I'd loaned it to, blew the main bearing on the original motor at 250K. Put a short block in and 3,000 miles later, the fucker blew up in Hooks, Texas, of all places.

Other than that, I can't count tires, brake shoes, etc. as anything other than normal maintenance. (I change my own brakes, they're disc brakes and a breeze and plus, I bought lifetime warranty on pads.)

And it's paid for. (I still owe a year on my second rig — a Tahoe.)

4. Walter_Sobchak

Walter_Sobchak Active Member

In college, I drove a 1987 Mercedes station wagon with a diesel engine that had 228,000 miles when we gave it away to charity as a tax writeoff. Thing still ran fine.

And the first thing that came to mind when I saw this thread was the old Married with Children episode when Al is about to go over 1,000,000 miles with his Dodge.

5. tyler durden 71351

tyler durden 71351 Active Member

Wow, you put 400,000 miles on a truck in 6 1/2 years? That's more than 5,000 miles a month.

6. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

I'm more impressed when folks get over 200,000 original engine miles, I guess.

A friend had a Duster with a slant six -- one of the great engines of all time -- that passed at least 330,000 and still ran reasonbly well under the circumstances.

7. Gutter

Gutter Well-Known Member

Just passed 100K myself in a shade over 5 years ... Pontiac is still running almost as good as new.

8. tyler durden 71351

tyler durden 71351 Active Member

I put almost 100,000 miles on a car in three years....a Honda Civic I was leasing. Talk about going to a car dealer bent over and grabbing your ankles.

9. Jones

Jones Active Member

Yeah, you sure as hell don't want to drive a lease into the ground.

Man, you guys run some miles. I've had my current car nearly a year, and it has about 6,000 miles on it. At this rate, I should be bumping in my Corolla in 2046.

10. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Chevy Blazer, 2000. 138,000 mi and counting with (knock wood) no major defects, ever.

11. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I've got a pair of low-top Chuck's that I wear a lot, and I've had them for going on four years now.
    They're starting to blow out a little on the sides, but the shoestrings are still the originals.

12. Lucas Wiseman

Lucas Wiseman Well-Known Member

I thought this thread was going to be about airline miles. I have over 300,000 of those!

Draft saved Draft deleted