1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

40-year-old coach marries 16-year-old student

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by beefncheddar, Jun 22, 2007.

1. beefncheddar

beefncheddar Guest

And one week later: Found.

You really think the two of them could just drop off the map at the drop of a hat? And when they're found, he's now up for kidnap and sexual assault (admittedly guessing).

2. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

Wouldn't you just be able to call the police and report a kidnapping? Then you would have a suspect. The girl is a minor and thus can't consent to being kidnapped.

I guess I'm just confused about why the police couldn't do anything about a 40-year-old going after a 16-year-old.

3. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

If the age of consent is 16, they can't.

4. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

In North Carolina, I'm guessing the age of consent is 16. Because the girl is not yet an adult, she needed the parents to sign away the marriage rights, but she still could consent to nailing him left and right.

5. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

Yes, but what is the statute of limitations on statutory rape? If the girl was 15 the first time, they could press charges a year later.

Also, 16 may be the age of consent for sex, but not for kidnapping. She's still a minor and thus under her parents' care.

6. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

How can they prove there was sex involved? "Oh, I waited until she was 16 until we made sweet, passionate love." No way to prove otherwise.

But if she runs away, how is it kidnapping?

7. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

I suppose.

So instead of a girl angry that she isn't allowed to marry . . .

. . . you have a girl angry that she isn't allowed to marry and really really really pissed off that her parents are going to prosecute her fiance for kidnapping.

Good luck trying to repair that relationship.

8. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Eating disorders are mental illnesses, so it's in the ballpark.

Point is, she doesn't need to wed this creep to one day deal with the full repercussions of her decision. Her "dating" this guy for another two years might do it. It might not. But that's how I would probably go about it, aside from getting depressed myself over it.

9. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

By letting her date the dude, the parents are subtly condoning it.

By telling her, "Here, go get married," they are squarely putting the onus on HER to take HER responsibility. Good for them.

10. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

This is all purely conjecture. I'm not a parent and I'm not sure what I would do in this position. I would assume that the relationship could be healed through years of therapy.

But I am still baffled about this. Yes, let's say the age of consent is 16. Why is it that Dateline can get all of these predators arrested without having sex yet the cops can't go after this guy for his behavior the year before?

11. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Bullshit. By signing the consent form, they admitting the relationship is legitimate. THAT is condoning it. I swear, some people will bend reality in any way imaginable to make an argument.

12. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Using that technique, if the daughter had a meth habit, would the parents be wise to wait until the daughter comes to the realization that she needs rehab as opposed to telling her what to do? Because if they put her in rehab or got her help when she pulls an Amy Winehouse, that would risk the daughter alienating the family, threatening suicide ... you know, some of the things we've talked about in this thread as the reason to sign the consent for marriage.

Draft saved Draft deleted