1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

40-year-old coach marries 16-year-old student

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by beefncheddar, Jun 22, 2007.

1. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

They did the right thing, in my opinion. Let the girl learn from her mistake. If they keep it from being legal, all they do is let her continue to live in some la-la fantasy land where she doesn't have to deal with the full repercussions of her decision -- same for him, too.

2. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

The first part, we'll have to agree to disagree. I can understand that approach. I just don't agree with it.

But as far as the guy....sorry, boot up the ass....that's all I've got. Then again, that's one reason it's good that my marriage is a partnership. Maybe the wife would be able to talk me down.

3. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

I agree in one way, but when I think about parents doing this in other situations -- say the kid wants to drive drunk or develop an eating disorder or bully peers -- I'm not so sure.

I'm no parent, I'm not going to pretend like I would know what to do. But I don't believe I would have signed the consent. She could deal with the full repercussions of her decision just by dating him and alienating her own family, too. No wedding needed for that.

4. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Do you have any kids? A lot of 16-year-olds would have trouble fending advances by 40-year-old men. That's why people like this are called predators. You can bring your kid to counseling, which addresses a small part of this problem. You can also (note that this isn't a choice between one or the other) make it clear to this predator that there will be hell to pay if you find him anywhere near your daughter. The two aren't mutually exclusive. While we're at it I would also file a lawsuit against the school and the school system for failure to protect my underage child from their predator employee.

5. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

And Windy has stormy eyes
    That flash at the sound of lies
    And Windy has wings to fly
    Above the clouds.

6. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

And that's a good argument (that's pretty much falling on deaf ears).

Will it probably come to an end? Yes.

No doubt? Well . . .

Mary Kay Letourneau went to jail after banging a child, and they were still in love enough to marry seven years later when she got out. And last I heard, they are still happy together.

After that, I'll never say never.

7. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

If they don't sign, then the kid probably runs off with the guy and they live a life on the lam, so to speak. She's probably completely alienated and cut off from her parents, and who knows if that ever gets repaired. And the worse case scenario involves death--suicide, murder, perhaps both.

By signing, they keep the lines of communication open and keep the relationship intact (to some degree). They can be there for her and talk with her as she learns her way through this brave new world.

And when she learns she made a big mistake in a couple weeks, a couple months or a couple years, they can be there to help her start over.

All in all, she can probably come out of this with not too many mental scars and lead a fairly normal existence. If she runs off with the guy, she probably ends up turning tricks in Vegas, strung out on smack after the clock strikes twelve on her prince charming.

8. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

So she's an alpha from metre 12, and he's a savage, right?

He probably slipped her a few too many half-grammes of soma during those rides home.

9. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

There's a difference Oz. Letting your kid drive drunk or bully someone entails endangering other persons. An eating disorder is physically harming. The young lady's mind is the only thing up for scarring here. And as far as I'm concerned, Kirk is right, this is the best worst option available to the parents at this point.

10. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

I think it's a bad parenting move to sign that consent. Over my dead body would that ever happen with a 16-year-old kid of mine. Hard to say how else I'd react, but signing that consent form would not be in the equation. And my daughter would be at a new school pronto and in some serious counseling. Her cell phone? Gone. And I would raise hell with the police and the school district for giving up their responsibilities.

11. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

School district didn't give a shit.

Girl would just find another way to contact him... use a friend's cell phone, get a phone in a friend's name, find some other computer on which to contact him if her parents took away computer privileges.

I still think they did the right thing.

12. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

And days later: Daughter? Gone.

Draft saved Draft deleted